NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordKelvan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

Hi:

I am doing some kernel development for Linux, and I was interested in using Netbeans (I previously used it for creating GUI Java applications). Has anyone successfully created a project for the Linux Kernel? I can't seem to get Code Assistance working properly, and would appreciate any help on how to do so.

Let me describe my efforts. When I create the project and try to set up Code Assistance, Netbeans freezes (even after I configure it with 1GB of RAM). I tried setting it up after creating the project, but I failed multiple times. Finally, I was able to set up Code Assistance (not sure what I did differently), but it didn't completely work. By this, I mean that it:

- failed to find the definitions of many functions/macros
    - couldn't locate many include files, even after I manually set their location

The following is my environment:

- Ubuntu 8.04
    - JDK 6 Update 3
    - Netbeans 6.1 with latest C/C++ pack
    - developing version 2.6.22-9 of the Linux Kernel.

Cheers,
LK
Vladimir Voskresensky
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you tried configuring Code Assistance after building kernel with
#CFLAGS="-g3 -gdwarf-2" make
?

I tried it with
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.26.3.tar.bz2
and trunk build and kernel was configured without any troubles (I
pointed to kernel/Makefile)

I'm on Ubuntu 7.10

Thanks,
Vladimir.
LordKelvan wrote:
Quote:
Hi:

I am doing some kernel development for Linux, and I was interested in using Netbeans (I previously used it for creating GUI Java applications). Has anyone successfully created a project for the Linux Kernel, because I can't seem to get Code Assistance working properly.

Let me describe my efforts. When I create the project and try to set up Code Assistance, Netbeans freezes (even after I configure it with 1GB of RAM). I tried setting it up after creating the project, but I failed multiple times. Finally, I was able to set up Code Assistance (not sure what I did differently), but it didn't completely work. By this, I mean that it:

[list=]

failed to find the definitions of many functions/macros

couldn't locate many include files, even after I manually set their location

[/list]

The following is my environment:

[list=]

Ubuntu 8.04

JDK 6 Update 3

Netbeans 6.1 with latest C/C++ pack

[/list]

I am working on version 2.6.22-9 of the Linux Kernel.

Cheers,

LK

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@cnd.netbeans.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@cnd.netbeans.org

LordKelvan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I added those two flags to CFLAGS and built the kernel again. However, whenever I try to configure Code Assistance (either during project creation, or after project creation), Netbeans seems to freeze. My system monitor program reports that Netbeans is eating up a lot of memory (1GB, which is the limit I placed on it, and also the amount of memory my system has). Could you tell me how much memory your system has, as well as the maximum amount of memory you configured Netbeans to have?

The only other problem that I can think of is that I obtained the source via apt-get (i.e., the source comes from a debian package). Let me try grabbing the source from your URL and see if I have better luck with that.
LordKelvan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I tried with the regular source tarball you linked to, and this time I was able to enable and configure Code Assistance. I tend to think it is the "debian" folder in the Debian source tree that was causing problems. I will get back to you on that.

Now, were you able to get it working fully? Even now, I'm getting a bunch of "include failures" (i.e., Netbeans can't find many of the include files). Understandably, many functions do not resolve correctly (i.e., I can't find where they're defined).

If you were able to get it working fully, could you detail the exact settings?

Thanks a lot,
LK
Vladimir Voskresensky
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

LordKelvan wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I added those two flags to CFLAGS and built the kernel again. However, whenever I try to configure Code Assistance (either during project creation, or after project creation), Netbeans seems to freeze. My system monitor program reports that Netbeans is eating up a lot of memory (1GB, which is the limit I placed on it, and also the amount of memory my system has).
When is it frozen? During project creation (when you press "Next" in
wizard's panel), on opening project (when you see modal dialog "Opening
Projects") or after that during parsing of kernel project (in status bar
you can see progress bar)?

Quote:
Could you tell me how much memory your system has, as well as the maximum amount of memory you configured Netbeans to have?

I have 3Gb, but I started IDE with all defaults and it was limited
automatically within 508.8MB.

Quote:

The only other problem that I can think of is that I obtained the source via apt-get (i.e., the source comes from a debian package). Let me try grabbing the source from your URL and see if I have better luck with that.

Could you, please, experiment with daily build? May be your problem was
already fixed in trunk?

Thanks,
Vladimir.
Quote:

Vladimir Voskresensky
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Could you tell me how much memory your system has, as well as the
maximum amount of memory you configured Netbeans to have?

I'm sorry the information about 508 is not correct Sad I realized, that
508 is my development IDE memory, while for IDE with kernel I gave 2G :-)

Btw, it could be more logical to split full linux kernel on subprojects?
I.e. I've tried to create project for "fs" component and it needs 200Mb.

Sorry for confusion
Vladimir.

Vladimir Voskresensky
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

Hm, I confused even myself Sad
I named "linux" as linux kernel
linux/kernel is very small part of linux and it lives fine in 100mb...
with only one problem file shced_debug.c
I've created the project simply pointing to linux/kernel/Makefile and
project was generated within 20 secs.

Thanks,
Vladimir.

Vladimir Voskresensky wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Could you tell me how much memory your system has, as well as the
maximum amount of memory you configured Netbeans to have?

I'm sorry the information about 508 is not correct Sad I realized,
that 508 is my development IDE memory, while for IDE with kernel I
gave 2G :-)

Btw, it could be more logical to split full linux kernel on subprojects?
I.e. I've tried to create project for "fs" component and it needs 200Mb.

Sorry for confusion
Vladimir.

LordKelvan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vladimir:

Unfortunately, I need to work with the entire Linux kernel, not just sub-folders/sub-components.

As I mentioned, I believe that the "debian" folder in my original source tree was causing the freezing (I think it might contain some circular soft-links). However, even using the source tarball you linked to, I am still getting failed include directives, as well as some functions not resolving properly (i.e., Netbeans cannot find the function definition). Could you see if you get the same? If so, do you know how to fix them? If not, could you tell me the exact settings used?

Thanks for all your help,
LK
LordKelvan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

Can anyone provide further assistance?

Cheers,
LK
Leonid Lenyashin
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

Hi Lk,

Could you pls provide a bit more details? Even if you look at bugs filed
you will find out that there are users who manage to create projects for
Fedora and Ubuntu.

Leonid (lsl239)

LordKelvan wrote:
Quote:
Hi:

Can anyone provide further assistance?

Cheers,

LK

LordKelvan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What further details are required that I have not mentioned in my previous posts?
LordKelvan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

This thread has a few posts in it, so maybe I can just sum up my problem as it stands now.

My problem is that I cannot create a FULLY FUNCTIONAL Netbeans project for the Linux kernel. This means that there are some "failed include directives" (i.e., missing include files) and some symbols fail to resolve (i.e., I cannot see their definition). I am dealing with the entire Linux kernel here, not just parts of it (although I am only targeting the i386 architecture).

I would appreciate any help in terms of what settings/steps to take to get a fully functioning project. I am not a complete newbie, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty so to speak.

If ANYONE out there has gotten this to work successfully, I would greatly appreciate their help. If you require any information, just list it, and I will provide it.

If any of the developers know for a fact that what I require is not possible (i.e., a fully functioning NB project for the Linux kernel), then please let me know, so I don't spend more time trying to fix an impossible problem. If it is not possible, could you provide an estimate as to what version of Netbeans can be expected to have this functionality?

Thanks in advance,
LK
Vladimir Voskresensky
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

Hi,

I've tried to create project and attached it on wiki page.
http://wiki.netbeans.org/CNDLinuxKernel

Please, skip other unresolved #includes, seems we have bug for files
excluded from project.
Project works within 1G, more is better

Hope it helps for starting.
Thanks,
Vladimir.

LordKelvan wrote:
Quote:
Hi:

This thread has a few posts in it, so maybe I can just sum up my problem as it stands now.

My problem is that I cannot create a FULLY FUNCTIONAL Netbeans project for the Linux kernel. This means that there are some "failed include directives" (i.e., missing include files) and some symbols fail to resolve (i.e., I cannot see their definition). I am dealing with the entire Linux kernel here, not just parts of it (although I am only targeting the i386 architecture).

I would appreciate any help in terms of what settings/steps to take to get a fully functioning project. I am not a complete newbie, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty so to speak.

If ANYONE out there has gotten this to work successfully, I would greatly appreciate their help. If you require any information, just list it, and I will provide it.

If any of the developers know for a fact that what I require is not possible (i.e., a fully functioning NB project for the Linux kernel), then please let me know, so I don't spend more time trying to fix an impossible problem. If it is not possible, could you provide an estimate as to what version of Netbeans can be expected to have this functionality?

Thanks in advance,

LK

LordKelvan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi:

Ok Vlad, thanks a lot for your help. I will try out the project you attached, and see how it works for me.

Quote:
excluded from project.

So that means there doesn't currently exist a way to get rid of the unresolved #includes in the attached project? Will this be fixed by 6.5?

Cheers,
LK
Vladimir Voskresensky
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Trouble Creating a NB Project out of Linux Kernel Reply with quote

LordKelvan wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi:

Ok Vlad, thanks a lot for your help. I will try out the project you attached, and see how it works for me.
You are welcome.
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
excluded from project.

So that means there doesn't currently exist a way to get rid of the unresolved #includes in the attached project? Will this be fixed by 6.5?
I have figured out how to eliminate all failed includes, so now project is clean. Last attached file to wiki should be OK.
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,

LK

([email]address-removed[/email])
([email]address-removed[/email])

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> C/C++ Users All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: