NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
solomonson

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans Reply with quote

I am seriously considering switching from Eclipse to NetBeans. My whole team uses Eclipse and we end up fighting a lot of issues with Maven. We have several projects with sub-projects in Maven and those interdependencies tend to break in Eclipse. We also have several issues with subversion, but we know how to work around them.

How good is the Maven and Subversion integration with Netbeans? What problems will I face if I use NetBeans and my team uses Eclipse? What will I lose when switching to Netbeans? How good is the debugger for C++ and PHP?
Ed Hillmann
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans Reply with quote

In my opinion, NetBeans' integration with Maven is very, very good.
predatorvi

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:38 am    Post subject: Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans Reply with quote

For Subversion + Maven I don't think you will encounter too many road blocks, unless they've heavily customized the POM to work around or do things the "Eclipse" way instead of the standard Maven way.  I've seen some Maven projects started from Eclipse NOT follow any Maven standard (folder structure, naming, etc.) and be customized to conform to the Eclipse structure that have sometimes had issues, but it's been a while.  

I one POM that was literally hundreds of lines long that was built with Eclipse and was having issues.  We decided to restructure it into the Maven structure and were able to drop the POM to only a few dozen lines.

I can't speak to C++/PHP.

Netbeans is more like Maven in that it uses/recognizes conventions native to the project type (ANT/Maven) over configuration.  Eclipse is just the opposite...configuration over convention...it is heavy on configuration because it want's to dictate the project format and other standards/conventions are bolt on afterthoughts (even ANT from what I can tell).

I started at my current job about 2 years ago and most were using eclipse (MyEclipse9) projects for development, no Maven with separate ANT build scripts.  We constantly had issues where the projects would build fine in Eclipse but died in ANT (trying to keep the two working the same was a full-time job).  

It also turns out that after years of manually dropping in JAR's by hand resulted in multiple (sometimes 4) different versions of the same libraries.  I revamped our entire source tree, converted all projects to Maven and advocated HEAVILY for Netbeans after spending WEEKS (literally) trying to satisfy everyone else and make Eclipse work with the newly created, standard Maven projects that worked out of the box with Netbeans.

With NetBeans, you install it, check out source and open the Maven projects.

With Eclipse, you install it, install m2e, install connectors for necessary plugins, hope it installed all the dependencies required for the m2e plugins/connectors to work, fiddle with configuring or ignoring maven plugins the don't have m2e connectors, configure paths, import projects (you can't just open a project), then pray it works.

The infrastructure required by Eclipse to recognize Maven, keep it's eclipse project in sync with the Maven POM and the connectors required to handle maven plugins is a train wreck and I will never use it again.

For source control, we use NetBeans with Subversion, GitHub, and our internal Git repo (gitolite).  Both are recognized out of the box and work well.  Some external tools for showing history graphs, git tags/branches, etc. do a better job for visualizing some things but NetBeans works well regardless.   I have liked SourceTree for Git/Hg (but have also used SmartGit) and for Subversion, SlikSVN or TortoiseSVN with shell integration for windows.  But I use all concurrently with NetBeans.

I understand that IntelliJ also has it's own project format that "sync's" with Maven, but we do have a few that use it and really like it.  However, if it works very well and is free, I'll take NetBeans.

On Tue, May 21, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Ed Hillmann <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:
In my opinion, NetBeans' integration with Maven is very, very good.  It can use the pom file directly.  It doesn't need to parse a pom file into a proprietary file like other IDE's.  It can find classes in the dependencies and, if you download the sources using Maven (dependency:sources) it will also display the available sources in the IDE.  I've found it a very good fit with Maven.  I am in a similar situation where I use NetBeans and other team member use Eclipse.  And we can do so without impacting one another.  And, while the pom needs some modification to work with Eclipse, it needs nothing for NetBeans.  I can't recommend it enough.

It also has good integration with Subversion.  I helped contribute to the original implementation, though, so I'm biased.

Hope this helps,
Ed

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 3:44 AM, solomonson <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:
I am seriously considering switching from Eclipse to NetBeans.  My whole team uses Eclipse and we end up fighting a lot of issues with Maven.  We have several projects with sub-projects in Maven and those interdependencies tend to break in Eclipse.  We also have several issues with subversion, but we know how to work around them.

How good is the Maven and Subversion integration with Netbeans?  What problems will I face if I use NetBeans and my team uses Eclipse?  What will I lose when switching to Netbeans?  How good is the debugger for C++ and PHP?

--
Jeff Vincent
See my LinkedIn profile at:
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rjeffreyvincent
I ♥ DropBox !! 
markiewb

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:46 am    Post subject: Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans Reply with quote

Give NetBeans a try. When you use Maven projects it is even easier to load them. There is no external plugin required. A pom is enough.
You will loose some quickfixes/errorfixes (but get some others). The debugging view for variables looks strange for an eclipse user (you will have to click through several "inherited" nodes to see the values from super classes). You also have to take time to configure the built-in sourcecode formatter, so that it formats like the eclipse one. Else there will be too much fuzz when your eclipse colleagues review your commits. The history view will also look and act different. I think there will be more changes when switching(i cannot remember more at the.moment), but this would also be true when switching to IDEA.
With kind regards, markiewb I am seriously considering switching from Eclipse to NetBeans.
Fabrizio Giudici
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans Reply with quote

As others said, Maven integration is very good. All my Maven projects
conforms to Maven best practices and can be directly opened with no
hassles in NetBeans. I am only aware of a minor workaround against a
problem that prevented some projects from being correctly, but this
involves the NetBeans Platform and it's a handful of lines in my SuperPOM.
As I have to support customers using Eclipse, and I want my FLOSS stuff to
be compilable from Eclipse, I'm pretty aware of the troubles of Eclipse
with Maven and I have to say I'm starting to hate Eclipse in the past
weeks. It seems that it's Eclipse the one to create problems out of
nothing, as IntelliJ can open my Maven projects as well, without hassles.
I do appreciate the fact that, unlike Idea, NetBeans doesn't need to
create its own files. It occasionally creates a nb-configuration.xml file
for storing properties specific to NetBeans (but you can incorporate them
in the POM and get rid of the file) and nbactions.xml only when you want
to define some custom Maven actions to be available in the IDE. Indeed
this is a good thing, since you can share them with others (in contrast
with Eclipse which stores this stuff in the workspaces). In place of the
cumbersome workspaces, NetBeans allow you to define "project groups", e.g.
by grouping all the projects in a folder, and easily switch among them
without losing your general configuration.

As others said, if you have bad practices in your POM it could cause
problems, but we're here to help you.

Happy switch.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."
http://tidalwave.it/fabrizio/blog - address-removed
Edson Richter
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans Reply with quote

Em 21/05/2013 14:44, solomonson escreveu:
Quote:
I am seriously considering switching from Eclipse to NetBeans. My whole team uses Eclipse and we end up fighting a lot of issues with Maven. We have several projects with sub-projects in Maven and those interdependencies tend to break in Eclipse. We also have several issues with subversion, but we know how to work around them.

How good is the Maven and Subversion integration with Netbeans? What problems will I face if I use NetBeans and my team uses Eclipse? What will I lose when switching to Netbeans? How good is the debugger for C++ and PHP?

Besides I don't use Maven, I just have to say, I don't miss anything
from Eclipse (except, perhaps, improved GWT support).
Subversion is working great - either direct network connection and SSH
tunelling.

Regards,

Edson Richter
Glenn Holmer
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Switch from Eclipse to NetBeans Reply with quote

On 05/21/2013 12:44 PM, solomonson wrote:
Quote:
I am seriously considering switching from Eclipse to NetBeans.

<snip>

Quote:
How good is the Maven and Subversion integration with Netbeans?

Subversion support is excellent, we've been using it for many years.
Good support for branching and merging, switching to different
revisions, &c.

https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/ide/subversion.html

--
Glenn Holmer
Weyco Group, Inc.
phone: 414-908-1809
fax: 414-908-1601
The_Surfman

Location: [url=http://www.patrickballmann.ch]Hochzeitsfotograf Aargau[/url]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Maven and Subversion integration with Netbeans works perfect. Try it!

--

Hochzeitsfotograf Aargau
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: