NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SaaS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csaffi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: SaaS Reply with quote

Hello everybody,
I'm planning to develop a multi-tenant SaaS and I would like your opinion on the platform that could host it.
The application should have a growing number of users over time, so it is essential to be scalable. I'd like to develop web applications using JDeveloper or Netbeans and to deploy them on cloud...

On my analysis possible platforms are:
1) cluster of dedicated servers or virtual machines (OVH, Aruba, ...)
2) Cloud (Amazon WAS, Windows Azure, ...)
3) PaaS (VMforce, GAE, ...)

- On case (1) and (2), it's necessary to configure and maintain cluster servers. To create the cluster, regarding the DBMS I thought to use the replication mechanisms of MySQL, while for load balancing Tomcat mechanisms.
The difference between (1) and (2), based on cloud provider I've seen, seems to be that in the cloud is fastest to create/delete new virtual machines instances of the cluster, but the cloud costs much more than traditional virtual machines with the same resources.

- In case (3) PaaS providers offer automatic scalability, but the application should be developed through ad hoc tools and frameworks.

Would you have any advice?

Thank you very much in advance!

Ps. I'm open to possible collaborations
gusto2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: SaaS Reply with quote

Hello csafii,

this seems to be an old topic, but I think it deserves an opinion. I'm as well curious how did you solved your dilema.

Quote:
1) cluster of dedicated servers or virtual machines (OVH, Aruba, ...)

For quick startup I used VPS (eroute.net) for a VPS as I was accustomed to use my own linux setup and run any code I write. But for starting a business I found it not very effective (fixed cost, low traffic, few customers).

Quote:
2) Cloud (Amazon WAS, Windows Azure, ...)

For the virtual machines (e.g. EC2) the prices are now comparable to another VPS providers, but I found the IaaS providers to provide some additional valuable services (e.g. Amazon S3, SimpleDB, ..) which mitigate need to use a database cluster. But if a RDB cluster is needed, I found them equaly costly in any case. (I am not very familiar with the Azure yet)

Quote:
3) PaaS (VMforce, GAE, ...)

And this is an approach I use to apply for startup.. Put the business logic into PaaS (I use GAE mostly) and content files into an external storage (S3). you are right, it is hard to avoid vendor lock-in (mostly for relational data, of course they want you to stay and to make database resources shared for efficiency), but if you can correctly use any available framework, it's quick, simple and cheeper to start.
Still you have to be aware of limitations set by the PaaS provider. And I found it rather difficult to migrate, mainly for the relational data, becouse the database is not mine anymore..

take care
Gabriel
Siregar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to ask how I can SaaS aplication using JAVA EE. I mean, web service will create using in EJB. Then I will orchestrate this service in BPEL, and deploy it using CASA. Is this step right?
My Case study is about SaaS application for Mini Hospital.
Beside that, i'm very confuse how to build right SaaS flow using BPEL. How when the logic is an short business logic like CRUD. Is it need BPEL.
Where I can get example of SaaS that build using Java.

I'm sory for my bad english.,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> SOA Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: