NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues installing mysql gem w/ macports mysql install

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Issues installing mysql gem w/ macports mysql install Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using NetBeans 6.5_RC1 on OSX 10.5.5 and have run into the following issue with Rails on NetBeans.

Basically rake works for me from the console but does not seem to work when called from NetBeans.

In the project window right clicking a project and selecting 'migrate database' then choosing 'To Current Version' gives the following error:

!!! The bundled mysql.rb driver has been removed from Rails 2.2. Please install the mysql gem and try again: gem install mysql.
rake aborted!
no such file to load -- mysql

When I try to fix this by going to 'Tools/Ruby Gems' and installing the mysql gem (version 2.7.3) I get this error:

ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

I think this is because I used MacPorts to install mysql and the installer isn't finding the mysql files. I was able to get the gem installer to work from the console by appending the argument "--with-mysql-config=/opt/local/bin/mysql_config5" to the gem install command. Unfortunately NetBeans doesn't seem to use the gems installed in this manner and I'm not finding any affordance to pass an option like this when using the NetBeans gem installer.

I would appreciate advice on how to resolve this issue.
Erno Mononen
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Issues installing mysql gem w/ macports mysql install Reply with quote

Hi,

Just to be sure, could you please double-check that you're using the
same platform from the IDE (in Project Properties -> Rails -> Ruby
Platform) and from the command line? Can you also specify what is the
platform that you're using?

Thanks,
Erno

DanS wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I'm using NetBeans 6.5_RC1 on OSX 10.5.5 and have run into the following issue with Rails on NetBeans.

Basically rake works for me from the console but does not seem to work when called from NetBeans.

In the project window right clicking a project and selecting 'migrate database' then choosing 'To Current Version' gives the following error:

!!! The bundled mysql.rb driver has been removed from Rails 2.2. Please install the mysql gem and try again: gem install mysql.

rake aborted!

no such file to load -- mysql

When I try to fix this by going to 'Tools/Ruby Gems' and installing the mysql gem (version 2.7.3) I get this error:

I think this is because I used MacPorts to install mysql and the installer isn't finding the mysql files. I was able to get the gem installer to work from the console by appending the argument "--with-mysql-config=/opt/local/bin/mysql_config5" to the gem install command. Unfortunately NetBeans doesn't seem to use the gems installed in this manner and I'm not finding any affordance to pass an option like this when using the NetBeans gem installer.

I would appreciate advice on how to resolve this issue.

DanS

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched the platform setting and rake now works for me from the NetBeans menu.

For the record I had the platform set to:
Built-in JRuby 1.1.4 (rake didn't work)

When I changed it to:
Ruby 1.8.6-p114 (rake started working)

Erno, thanks for the gentle hint on how to fix this.

Dan
Pooja

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Gem Installation failed.. Reply with quote

Hi,
I have installed netbeans 6.8 on my windows system.
I m trying to create one rails application and successfully built a model class(contact.rb).
Now on rails console when I type:
my_contact=Contact.new

it gives me the following error:

my=Contact.new
C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/site_ruby/shared/jruby/openssl/gem_only.rb:3 warning: already initialized constant GEM_ONLY
MissingSourceFile: no such file to load -- mysql
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:156:in `require'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:521:in `new_constants_in'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:156:in `require'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:7:in `require_library_or_gem'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/reporting.rb:11:in `silence_warnings'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-2.3.4/lib/active_support/core_ext/kernel/requires.rb:5:in `require_library_or_gem'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:60:in `mysql_connection'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:223:in `new_connection'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:245:in `checkout_new_connection'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:188:in `checkout'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `loop'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:184:in `checkout'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/1.8/monitor.rb:242:in `mon_synchronize'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:183:in `checkout'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:98:in `connection'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:326:in `retrieve_connection'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:123:in `retrieve_connection'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_specification.rb:115:in `connection'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:1271:in `columns'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:3007:in `attributes_from_column_definition'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/locking/optimistic.rb:66:in `attributes_from_column_definition_with_lock'
from C:/Program Files/NetBeans 6.8/ruby2/jruby-1.4.0/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.3.4/lib/active_record/base.rb:2434:in `initialize'
from (irb):3:in `new'

Using cmd prompt I installed the mysql gem but dont how to do it using netbeans. As Dan said, I changed the project property to ruby 1.9.3-p125

Still it is showing the same error...
Sad

Let me point out one more point here:

When i see rails plugins of my project, it shows:

Missing the Rails 2.3.4 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.4 rails`, update your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use the latest version installed.
zeeshan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello-

Trying to get rails up and running on my linux box with mysql. When I
try to install the mysql gem, I get the following:

Building native extensions. This could take a while...
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::Installer::ExtensionBuildError)

ruby extconf.rb install mysql
Code:
checking for mysql_query() in -lmysqlclient... no
checking for main() in -lm... yes
checking for main() in -lz... yes
checking for main() in -lsocket... no
checking for main() in -lnsl... yes

*** extconf.rb failed ***
Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Provided configuration options:
    --with-opt-dir
    --without-opt-dir
    --with-opt-include
    --without-opt-include=${opt-dir}/include
    --with-opt-lib
    --without-opt-lib=${opt-dir}/lib
    --with-make-prog
    --without-make-prog
    --srcdir=.
    --curdir
    --ruby=/usr/local/bin/ruby
    --with-mysql-config
    --without-mysql-config
    --with-mysql-dir
    --without-mysql-dir
    --with-mysql-include
    --without-mysql-include=${mysql-dir}/include
    --with-mysql-lib
    --without-mysql-lib=${mysql-dir}/lib
    --with-mysqlclientlib
    --without-mysqlclientlib
    --with-mlib
    --without-mlib
    --with-mysqlclientlib
    --without-mysqlclientlib
    --with-zlib
    --without-zlib
    --with-mysqlclientlib
    --without-mysqlclientlib
    --with-socketlib
    --without-socketlib
    --with-mysqlclientlib
    --without-mysqlclientlib
    --with-nsllib
    --without-nsllib
    --with-mysqlclientlib
    --without-mysqlclientlib

Gem files will remain installed in /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
mysql-2.7 for inspection.
Results logged to /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/
gem_make.out

I've tried setting the config option and other various things when
running 'gem install'.

Anyone know how to get around this? Thanks very much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Ruby Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: