NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ruby and Rails plugin development activity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arcasys

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Ruby and Rails plugin development activity Reply with quote

First of all, a big Thank You to the authors and maintainers of the rails plugin for NetBeans.
I've used NetBeans for years and for me it's he best IDE for ruby and rails around.

That said, I wonder if there's still enough development power and activity, and interest, to keep up with latest development.
I've recently installed Netbeans 8.0 and was positively surprised about the progress made in the rails plugin (coming from7.01 with the plugin version for 6.9). On the other hand there are a couple of deficiencies like missing support for rvm or rake not working any more (with a -A option error) etc.

I know it's very had to keep up with what should be done without having commercial backup and I don't complain. I'd rather want to help, if bug reports would be any help.

My questions are:

- Is there any preferred place to submit questions and bug reports? Both NetBeans Bugzilla and this forum don't look very promising in terms of activity.
    - Is there enough development capacity or will this plugin just die?
    - Is there any good alternative? Am I alone with this problem or what are you all doing?
enebo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Ruby and Rails plugin development activity Reply with quote

It is true that this plugin has largely been on life support since Oracle dropped staffing support for the project.  I have largely only spent effort on updating to latest NB API changes, updated language level support to try and keep up with syntax changes made to Ruby itself, and slowly been weaning internal netbeans Ruby parsing code towards depending on jruby-parser project.  This latter endeavor is an attempt to get the techinical debt and overall plugin size small enough to be able to make better refactoring tools.

Support for things like RVM, Rails, Rspec and Rake have had almost nothing done to them since Oracle stopped putting resources on the project.

Of course I have been extremely busy this summer working on JRuby itself.  JRuby 9000 is slated for the end of the year and we are working at breakneck speeds to get that out Smile

This mailing list is fine for asking questions and prodding and poking on issues which bug you or you want more attention spent on.  I agree Bugzilla is a technical debt source in its own right.  Almost all issues reported happened before I started hacking on this.  I almost feel like I should close them all and see what gets re-reported.

Development capacity is a good question.  I am at least trying to make sure you can edit and do reasonable refactoring with NB Ruby, but I am spending zero work on most library support (e.g. Rails).  So I think it will stay useful for editing purposes but unless someone else gets on board, then perhaps we should scale back some of these other features?

Intellij Ruby support is really good.  It is commercial and your support of Netbeans is appreciated but it is a good alternative so I would feel remiss to not mention it.

-Tom

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:05 AM, arcasys <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:
First of all, a big Thank You to the authors and maintainers of the rails plugin for NetBeans.
I've used NetBeans for years and for me it's he best IDE for ruby and rails around.

That said, I wonder if there's still enough development power and activity, and interest, to keep up with latest development.
I've recently installed Netbeans 8.0 and was positively surprised about the progress made in the rails plugin (coming from7.01 with the plugin version for 6.9). On the other hand there are a couple of deficiencies like missing support for rvm or rake not working any more (with a -A option error) etc.

I know it's very had to keep up with what should be done without having commercial backup and I don't complain. I'd rather want to help, if bug reports would be any help.

My questions are:

- Is there any preferred place to submit questions and bug reports? Both NetBeans Bugzilla and this forum don't look very promising in terms of activity.
- Is there any good alternative? Am I alone with this problem or what are you all doing?

--
blog: http://blog.enebo.com       twitter: tom_enebo
mail: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])
Marc Chanliau
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Ruby and Rails plugin development activity Reply with quote

Tom, thanks for your huge contribution to the success of (J)Ruby on NB. You mention "Intellij Ruby", I believe you mean RubyMine, right? I'm a RubyMine user and I like it a lot. But I hope Ruby on NB will catch up some day, that would be awesome!Marc

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Thomas E Enebo <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:
It is true that this plugin has largely been on life support since Oracle dropped staffing support for the project.  I have largely only spent effort on updating to latest NB API changes, updated language level support to try and keep up with syntax changes made to Ruby itself, and slowly been weaning internal netbeans Ruby parsing code towards depending on jruby-parser project.  This latter endeavor is an attempt to get the techinical debt and overall plugin size small enough to be able to make better refactoring tools.

Support for things like RVM, Rails, Rspec and Rake have had almost nothing done to them since Oracle stopped putting resources on the project.

Of course I have been extremely busy this summer working on JRuby itself.  JRuby 9000 is slated for the end of the year and we are working at breakneck speeds to get that out Smile

This mailing list is fine for asking questions and prodding and poking on issues which bug you or you want more attention spent on.  I agree Bugzilla is a technical debt source in its own right.  Almost all issues reported happened before I started hacking on this.  I almost feel like I should close them all and see what gets re-reported.

Development capacity is a good question.  I am at least trying to make sure you can edit and do reasonable refactoring with NB Ruby, but I am spending zero work on most library support (e.g. Rails).  So I think it will stay useful for editing purposes but unless someone else gets on board, then perhaps we should scale back some of these other features?

Intellij Ruby support is really good.  It is commercial and your support of Netbeans is appreciated but it is a good alternative so I would feel remiss to not mention it.

-Tom

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 4:05 AM, arcasys <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

My questions are:

--

enebo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Ruby and Rails plugin development activity Reply with quote

(was on a trip this weekend)

Yeah.  I meant RubyMine.

-Tom

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 1:10 PM, Marc Chanliau <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:
Tom, thanks for your huge contribution to the success of (J)Ruby on NB. You mention "Intellij Ruby", I believe you mean RubyMine, right? I'm a RubyMine user and I like it a lot. But I hope Ruby on NB will catch up some day, that would be awesome!Marc

On Thu, Nov 6, 2014 at 6:44 AM, Thomas E Enebo <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

-Tom

Quote:

My questions are:

--

--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Ruby Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: