NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NetBeans Gradle and JavaEE: State of the Union?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
38leinaD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:02 pm    Post subject: NetBeans Gradle and JavaEE: State of the Union? Reply with quote

Hi,
I was just watching the great JavaOne session "Gradle Support in NetBeans: A State of the Union" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGGMO0lrsNE) and also heard that the guys are playing with the support for JavaEE.

I would like to use this post to engage/start a discussion on this topic; as i am new to the Netbeans community, i am not sure if this is the right place; but as i also found this unanswered post (http://forums.netbeans.org/topic66057.html) on this topic, I was inclinded to respond and ended to start a new post after the text got longer Wink

I find it a bit unfortunate, that gradle for java-ee development today still feels a little bit alien; at least if you are spoiled from the maven-support of NB. I also commented on it here:
https://github.com/hildo/netbeans-gradle-javaee-project/issues/14

I am not sure if there is any progress happening soon. There is the general gradle-java plugin and there is a gradle-javaee plugin. The later seems abondend. At least no updates for a year.

So I am asking (e.g. contributors of the gradle-java plugin) if there is any work going into that direction that is known by anyone. I would be interested in contributing but as I am just getting into the NB apis and i dont regard myself an expert.

I just started to look into the NB sources for maven.j2ee and am at the point to call the API for deploying a war from my own plugin but there are all kind of different questions in my heard right now:

* Do it make sense to work of from the gradle-javaee plugin codebase as it seems abonbend or is there any plan to incorporate JavaEE support into the gradle-java plugin intself?
* The private APIs of the maven.j2ee plugin e.g. the panel to select a target server need to be replicated/ported to the gradle-plugin. From a copyright-perspective is it save to just copy-and-paste those sources over and modify appropriately?

And to also raise a techincal question regarding where i am at the moment:
* maven usually has in its target-folder and expanded version of the WAR archive. The APIs for server deployment (namely J2eeModuleImplementation2.getArchiveContents()) seems to require that such an expanded file-system-location is available. at least i was not able to deploy without provding an expanded folder. so my question is: as gradle does not provide such an expanded archive in the progress of the packaging (just different fragmented folders of some of the parts and obviosuly the final packaged war): what might be the best strategy to support this API?

Cheers,
Daniel[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Java EE Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: