NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg Wonderly
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol Reply with quote

I am having problems with the netbeans cache rotting, or something related to
cached data going away. Multiple times today, I've had problems where build of
a project works flawlessly, with all dependent projects building, and then when
I press run, I get the "On or more projects were compiled with errors." dialog,
and then when I press "Run Anyway", I get the aweful

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol

exception message in the console.

I'm sorry to say, but I have no understanding of WHY netbeans is using two
different sources of "class file" data such that it can resolve all the symbols
on a build, yet the runtime classpath and editor is using something different!

There is getting to be a lot less value in netbeans than I can stand to spend
time wasting.

These things that the IDE is trying to do for the developer are complicated and
horribly difficult to get right it seems to me. Is there some way that we can
step back a few steps and do some thing different so that we all are not
suffering with so many problems with how the editor, compiler and runtime are
interacting with the caching, scanning and other discovery support?

I'm really pleading for the dev team to look long and hard at how much software
that they are demanding work exactly right and the consequences of their
inability to code it all correctly and make it functional before deployment to
the users.

Gregg Wonderly
Melongo Annabel
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol Reply with quote

Gregg,
Sometimes libraries available to you at compile time might not be there at runtime. To make this works, it's sometimes useful to add the same libraries to your runtime's classpath as well. Please read this: http://www.netbeans.org/kb/55/using-netbeans/deploy.html#69958
Thanks.

To: address-removed
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:44:14 PM
Subject: [nbusers] Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol

I am having problems with the netbeans cache rotting, or something related to cached data going away. Multiple times today, I've had problems where build of a project works flawlessly, with all dependent projects building, and then when I press run, I get the "On or more projects were compiled with errors." dialog, and then when I press "Run Anyway", I get the aweful

I'm sorry to say, but I have no understanding of WHY netbeans is using two different sources of "class file" data such that it can resolve all the symbols on a build, yet the runtime classpath and editor is using something different!

There is getting to be a lot less value in netbeans than I can stand to spend time wasting.

These things that the IDE is trying to do for the developer are complicated and horribly difficult to get right it seems to me. Is there some way that we can step back a few steps and do some thing different so that we all are not suffering with so many problems with how the editor, compiler and runtime are interacting with the caching, scanning and other discovery support?

I'm really pleading for the dev team to look long and hard at how much software that they are demanding work exactly right and the consequences of their inability to code it all correctly and make it functional before deployment to the users.

Gregg Wonderly
Gregg Wonderly
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol Reply with quote

Annabel, this project works fine for an hour or so, and then suddenly it fails like this after no config changes. I'm gonna try turning off compile on change as suggested.

Gregg Wonderly

On Aug 17, 2009, at 8:35 PM, Melongo Annabel wrote:
Quote:
Gregg,
Sometimes libraries available to you at compile time might not be there at runtime. To make this works, it's sometimes useful to add the same libraries to your runtime's classpath as well. Please read this: http://www.netbeans.org/kb/55/using-netbeans/deploy.html#69958
Thanks.

From: Gregg Wonderly <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>
To: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 4:44:14 PM
Subject: [nbusers] Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol

I am having problems with the netbeans cache rotting, or something related to cached data going away. Multiple times today, I've had problems where build of a project works flawlessly, with all dependent projects building, and then when I press run, I get the "On or more projects were compiled with errors." dialog, and then when I press "Run Anyway", I get the aweful

I'm sorry to say, but I have no understanding of WHY netbeans is using two different sources of "class file" data such that it can resolve all the symbols on a build, yet the runtime classpath and editor is using something different!

There is getting to be a lot less value in netbeans than I can stand to spend time wasting.

These things that the IDE is trying to do for the developer are complicated and horribly difficult to get right it seems to me. Is there some way that we can step back a few steps and do some thing different so that we all are not suffering with so many problems with how the editor, compiler and runtime are interacting with the caching, scanning and other discovery support?

I'm really pleading for the dev team to look long and hard at how much software that they are demanding work exactly right and the consequences of their inability to code it all correctly and make it functional before deployment to the users.

Gregg Wonderly

Alan Stange
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol Reply with quote

Gregg Wonderly wrote:
Quote:
I am having problems with the netbeans cache rotting, or something
related to cached data going away. Multiple times today, I've had
problems where build of a project works flawlessly, with all dependent
projects building, and then when I press run, I get the "On or more
projects were compiled with errors." dialog, and then when I press
"Run Anyway", I get the aweful

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code -
cannot find symbol

I'm sorry to say, but I have no understanding of WHY netbeans is using
two different sources of "class file" data such that it can resolve
all the symbols on a build, yet the runtime classpath and editor is
using something different!

There is getting to be a lot less value in netbeans than I can stand
to spend time wasting.
I'll second this.

-- Alan
johnstosh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:59 pm    Post subject: solution: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol Reply with quote

I too had the problem with "Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol"

I deleted .netbeans\7.0\var\cache\index
to get rid of this problem.
jscolton

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: deleting /var/cache/index doesn't work in netbeans 7.1 Reply with quote

Hi,

I've wasted 3 hours on this.

It comiles ok in my IDE. But when deploying I get:

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - package org.hibernate does not exist

And when I click on the problematic class there's a compile error inside it against the Hibernate package!!!!!

What the hell is going on?

Going to move to Eclipse asap...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: