NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Python and GTK 2.0 autocompletion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strider

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Python and GTK 2.0 autocompletion Reply with quote

Netbeans is great for Python but it would be greater if autocompletion worked as intended. I explain.
I'm currently working on a Python project using the GTK+ library (pygtk),
I can't get the autocompletion to work with it.
I have some autocompletion but it gives me all sort of unrelated results like wxWidgets or functions from other programs that are installed on my system like Miro for example.

I tried adding directories to python's path like /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/gtk-2.0/ but it didn't change anything.

I'm suspecting that Netbeans is only indexing .py files and that some symbols are in .so files and they don't get indexed, is that correct ?

I also tried Netbeans 6.8 beta (I'm using 6.7.1 from the Ubuntu 9.10 repositories) and it was the same.

I can still use Netbeans and it's still good but it would be so much better if autocompletion worked as it should !
Melongo Annabel
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Python and GTK 2.0 autocompletion Reply with quote

Strider,
Can you please add your vote to this feature request at: https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=170081

To: address-removed
Sent: Thu, November 26, 2009 8:40:30 PM
Subject: [nbusers] Python and GTK 2.0 autocompletion

Netbeans is great for Python but it would be greater if autocompletion worked as intended. I explain.
I'm currently working on a Python project using the GTK+ library (pygtk),
I can't get the autocompletion to work with it.
I have some autocompletion but it gives me all sort of unrelated results like wxWidgets or functions from other programs that are installed on my system like Miro for example.

I tried adding directories to python's path like /usr/lib/pyshared/python2.6/gtk-2.0/ but it didn't change anything.

I'm suspecting that Netbeans is only indexing .py files and that some symbols are in .so files and they don't get indexed, is that correct ?

I also tried Netbeans 6.8 beta (I'm using 6.7.1 from the Ubuntu 9.10 repositories) and it was the same.

I can still use Netbeans and it's still good but it would be so much better if autocompletion worked as it should !
adamgmetzler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: The problem is netbeans does index python native libraries. Reply with quote

The problem is that netbeans does not index python native libraries like pygtk or PyOpenGL, or pyqt, or wxPython.
Quote:

Strider,
Can you please add your vote to this feature request at: https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=170081

This has nothing to do with the previous mentioned bug. It will index some of these libraries functions if they are in a pure python module. I have been waiting for this to be fixed for about 2 years. It seems that the python development has stalled. I wish they would finish this Early Access plugin so I can drop eclipse for good, this is the only thing stopping me from deleting it from my system. Currently eclipse has superior python support with the PyDev plugin. I wish python would get the love from the netbeans devs it so deserves!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: