NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Port occupied", Glassfish says
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

Hi everybody.

I'm trying to run a silly JSF application but I'm not able of starting GlassFish Server (v3).

As you can see in picture 1, the output says the port is occupied. I followed the default installation for the server, that is, it listens on port 8080.

In next pictures, you have the state of some ports in my computer (pic #2) and, specifically, the state of port 8080 (pic #3).

I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks in advance.

output_glassfish.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.31 KB
 Viewed:  27722 Time(s)

output_glassfish.png

netstat.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.81 KB

netstat.png

port_query.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.2 KB

port_query.png

Alexander Schell
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

hello

have you tried - for example with netstat - to find out what process
is listening on port 8080?
i'm sorry but i'm not very used to windows but maybe this link can
help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netstat
it seems that 'netstat -b' is the right choice...

best regards

alexander schell

Am 22.02.2010 21:36, schrieb Awer:
Quote:
Hi everybody.

I'm trying to run a silly JSF application but I'm not able of
starting GlassFish Server (v3).

As you can see in picture 1, the output says the port is occupied.
I followed the default installation for the server, that is, it
listens on port 8080.

In next pictures, you have the state of some ports in my computer
(pic #2) and, specifically, the state of port 8080 (pic #3).

I'd appreciate any help you could offer.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/output_glassfish_146.png
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/netstat_188.png
http://forums.netbeans.org//files/port_query_902.png

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.12 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with SUSE - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iEYEARECAAYFAkuC/Z8ACgkQfkcoZSkNJQZvygCbBdQ4FXE0bswnXj29wXgmS5nB
v7kAoNXNIo2ayOKnIZxWb6JJUxHR6MT/
=Vnc7
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
Steven Siebert
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

Do you happen to be running Google Chrome and/or have gmail open?
Awer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thank you both for answering.

Alex:
Quote:

I just got pic #2 executing netstat -o (by the way, I don't know whether you can see images via mailing list) and port 8080 doesn't appear.

Steve:
Quote:

As you very well say Chrome was running. But I tried again after haltin' it and I got the same result...
Steven Siebert
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

Ah, worth a try =)

Have you tried to:
Alexander Schell
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

hello

sorry...didn't see the screenshots... :(

Am 23.02.2010 00:35, schrieb Awer:
Quote:
First of all, thank you both for answering.

Alex:

Quote:

I just got pic #2 executing netstat -o (by the way, I don't know
whether you can see images via mailing list) and port 8080 doesn't appear.
Quote:

Steve:

Quote:

As you very well say Chrome was running. But I tried again after
haltin' it and I got the same result...

iEYEARECAAYFAkuDyC4ACgkQfkcoZSkNJQbM3QCgpgLtUxFhmFrg3r6ELnvyWzWs
JtYAoI4KVWABl68DhOXfTDd6UowpgcJP
=D5y2
Awer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for being still there.

Steve:
Quote:
Have you tried to:
1) go to http://localhost:8080/ in your browser?
2) rebooted your machine

1) If I type that url, I get the usual "This webpage is not available" error. Although I did no mention in the first message, I haven't any other app server installed on my computer (running on Windows XP). I also checked services running but there's no trace of any instance in progress...
2) The "magical" solution didn't work either... as expected Sad

Well, I should start thinking on a kind of poltergeist!
Steve
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

Please try turning off your windows firewall as a test.

S

On Feb 23, 2010, at 5:57 PM, "Awer" <address-removed> wrote:

Quote:

Steve:

Quote:
Have you tried to:
1) go to http://localhost:8080/ in your browser?
2) rebooted your machine

1) If I type that url, I get the usual "This webpage is not
available" error. Although I did no mention in the first message, I
haven't any other app server installed on my computer (running on
Windows XP). I also checked services running but there's no trace of
any instance in progress...
2) The "magical" solution didn't work either... as expected :(

Alexander Schell
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

hello

well in this case it could be wise to consult an excorzist... :)

have you tried the netstat in the very moment you're receiving the
error? perhaps the installation stumbles over it's own feet...

best regards

alexander schell

Am 23.02.2010 23:57, schrieb Awer:
Quote:

Steve:

Quote:
Have you tried to: 1) go to http://localhost:8080/ in your
browser? 2) rebooted your machine

1) If I type that url, I get the usual "This webpage is not
available" error. Although I did no mention in the first message, I
haven't any other app server installed on my computer (running on
Windows XP). I also checked services running but there's no trace
of any instance in progress... 2) The "magical" solution didn't
work either... as expected :(

iEYEARECAAYFAkuFK1cACgkQfkcoZSkNJQY22ACfYlmNlP9mO/hR9rJNhRYnSD4i
8EAAoNKeryCxoWT0uFHnZDc2RmqTfa8+
=ZaTs
checohinojosa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Can't start Glassfish V3 from Netbeans 6.8 Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I hope you can help me.

I'm having kinda the same problem. I can't start Glassfish V3 from Netbeans 6.8. When I try to start it just appears like if it were starting (the green play symbol over the fish) and it stops. Only Derby DB starts. The server.log is empty. The thing is that I can start it normally from the cmd with asadmin start-domain domain1 and with debug option as well. After I start it I can deploy apps to the server. But I can't shut it down or restart it from nb, only from the cmd. I downloaded another GF V3 server on other location, added to Netbeans and still can't start it, only embed it by starting it from the cmd and then deploy apps from nb.
I uninstalled Netbeans and Glassfish and installed them again with a proper reboot but somehow I beleive this is could be in the registry because this did'nt solve anything. The installed servers file seems ok and not corrupted:
.netbeans\6.8\config\J2EE\InstalledServers
.nbatr
instance
instance_1

This problem ocurred today after I updated nb. I was programming and deploying to the server when I made the restart of netbeans. After it restarted the whole chaos started. Since I'm in the beginning of a project that's why I uninstalled and installed NB and GF.

Ahh and forgot to say that when I deploy directly an app without having started the app server I get the same error as posted in the first post.

Starting GlassFish v3
GlassFish v3 Server cannot start. Port is occupied.

Greetings,

Sergio
P.S.
Using Windows XP sp3 32bit arch
(I was so happy with my Ubuntu.. I have to use the Firms laptop Sad )
Jeff Rubinoff
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

Have you tried creating a fresh userdir? With the IDE NOT running,
rename or delete USER_HOME/.netbeans/68 and start again. The IDE will
generate a new userdir. Or did you delete this directory when you
uninstalled NetBeans?
Also, have you checked to see if the ports are clear when you're running
NetBeans?

Jeff

checohinojosa wrote:
Quote:
Hi everybody, I hope you can help me.

I'm having kinda the same problem. I can't start Glassfish V3 from Netbeans 6.8. When I try to start it just appears like if it were starting (the green play symbol over the fish) and it stops. Only Derby DB starts. The server.log is empty. The thing is that I can start it normally from the cmd with asadmin start-domain domain1 and with debug option as well. After I start it I can deploy apps to the server. But I can't shut it down or restart it from nb, only from the cmd. I downloaded another GF V3 server on other location, added to Netbeans and still can't start it, only embed it by starting it from the cmd and then deploy apps from nb.
I uninstalled Netbeans and Glassfish and installed them again with a proper reboot but somehow I beleive this is could be in the registry because this did'nt solve anything. The installed servers file seems ok and not corrupted:
.netbeans\6.8\config\J2EE\InstalledServers
.nbatr
instance
instance_1

This problem ocurred today after I updated nb. I was programming and deploying to the server when I made the restart of netbeans. After it restarted the whole chaos started. Since I'm in the beginning of a project that's why I uninstalled and installed NB and GF.

Greetings,

Sergio
P.S.
Using Windows XP sp3 32bit arch
(I was so happy with my Ubuntu.. I have to use the Firms laptop Sad )

checohinojosa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply. Yes I did that, I removed .netbeans and .nbi directory and started the IDE again and no success. The files seemed to be generated ok, pointing to the App Servers but I could'nt invoke them (nothing, I mean no msg in server.log and I could find any exception in NB), I only could deploy the applications after starting the server manually (over the cmd), and the server log was pointing to the correct direction as well (i mean I could read the log from the netbeans output console)

The problem relies on the new updates of Netbeans. I installed Netbeans but in a diferent location. I could start the GF server that comes with the installation and another one I downloaded. I had no problem at all. I updated Netbeans (the 15 new Updates that are shown for v6.Cool, and this time the app serv was not running and I was not programming or deploying stuff, I was actually having dinner. And when I restarted Netbeans again.... well the problem appeared again. Something from the update makes netbean not able to launch the servers again, previous and new configured servers, you can deploy and see the server.log but not start them or shut them down. The only error I could notice was when directly deploying or running an app, the App compiles and then the error appeared.

Now my appsrv won't start from netbeans, again. I just installed Netbeans again on the second new location C:\Netbeans6.8 (before in C:\Program..\Netbeans6.8 )

And the appserver wont start! :S this is weird, cuz this time before the new installation, nb unistalled correctly and i deleted the user folders, that means the remaining data (if any) is from the registry. mmm...

Tomorrow I'll have to look for another destination to install so the path is not the same and I won't update NB. Sad
Jeff Rubinoff
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Port occupied", Glassfish says Reply with quote

Well, those are all my tricks.
Sounds like a bug, all right. Have you reported it at
http://netbeans.org/community/issues.html?

Jeff

checohinojosa wrote:
Quote:
Hi Jeff,

thanks for your reply. Yes I did that, I removed .netbeans and .nbi directory and started the IDE again and no success. The files seemed to be generated ok, pointing to the App Servers but I could'nt invoke them (nothing, I mean no msg in server.log and I could find any exception in NB), I only could deploy the applications after starting the server manually (over the cmd), and the server log was pointing to the correct direction as well (i mean I could read the log from the netbeans output console)

The problem relies on the new updates of Netbeans. I installed Netbeans but in a diferent location. I could start the GF server that comes with the installation and another one I downloaded. I had no problem at all. I updated Netbeans (the 15 new Updates that are shown for v6.Cool, and this time the app serv was not running and I was not programming or deploying stuff, I was actually having dinner. And when I restarted Netbeans again.... well the problem appeared again. Something from the update makes netbean not able to launch the servers again, previous and new configured servers, you can deploy and see the server.log but not start them or shut them down. The only error I could notice was when directly deploying or running an app, the App compiles and then the error appeared.

Now my appsrv won't start from netbeans, again. I just installed Netbeans again on the second new location C:\Netbeans6.8 (before in C:\Program..\Netbeans6.8 )

And the appserver wont start! :S this is weird, cuz this time before the new installation, nb unistalled correctly and i deleted the user folders, that means the remaining data (if any) is from the registry. mmm...

Tomorrow I'll have to look for another destination to install so the path is not the same and I won't update NB. :(

kerosene

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey i got the same error, i updated netbeans and glassfish can't start

did you found the solution??
suranyi

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Maybe... Reply with quote

Maybe it will work for you as well....i did for me.

FIRST: you have to start glassfish manually. go to console and run this command.

c:glassfishv3\bin>asadmin start-domain

and run your proyect in netbeans.
(source: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2366043/glassfish-v3-domain-server-cannot-start-port-is-occupied)

After starting it manually, I had problems with the java compiler...after a few minutes research I've found this:

SECOND:
http://www.devdaily.com/blog/post/java/fixing-glassfish-jdk-path-problem-solved

Hope it helps.

Csaba
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Java EE Users All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: