NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your wishes for next release of CND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NetBeans Forums -> C/C++ Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
charlls

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is definitely a way to upgrade to gcc 4.x in solaris:

http://www.opencsw.org/packages/CSWgcc4g++/
mrvolleyball

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the good work Very Happy, I've started to like many things about Netbeans for C++. Here are my suggestions and issues I've encountered with it:

Parsing
------------------------------------------
1) The code completion related parsing gets in the way occasionally and effectively blocks development until it completes. It would be much more usable if this parsing occurred on a background thread so it didn't interfere with GUI events.

2) I now have a faster machine so this doesn't affect me anymore but: The parsing seems resource intensive and can cripple a machine to the point of rendering the IDE useless. A switch to disable parsing or (1) would be good.

CMake integration:
I've been using Netbeans for C++ with CMake projects on Linux and I've noticed some related things which I have found workarounds for but are a bit awkward.

Given: A directory structure with a root, level 1, and level 2 directories. CMake files exist at every level. Projects exist at level2. Building everything via the root cmake file (i.e. cmake .; make) from the command line is successful.

Issues:
1) I use the "create group" feature based on a directory containing projects to automatically load all the projects into the IDE. Afterwards I've found no easy way to build all the projects. I see how to build projects individually and where the make files have dependencies these dependencies get built as well. To work around this I do such things from the command line.

2) Although the make files contain all the necessary include directories, I must add them to (tools -> options -> C++ -> include directories) in order for the IDE's code completion to work properly.

3) Defines specified in the make files don't seem to be noticed by the code completion. For example I had DEBUG in the make files but had to manually add it to the IDE to be defined for code completion (tools -> options -> C++ -> macro definitions)

Remote development:
--------------------------------------
1) Remote building seems much slower than local building. So slow in fact that I've decided not to use it for now (maybe 5-10 times slower is my guess). If it were not so slow it'd be a great feature for me.

2) I tried working around (1) by checking out the code on the remote machine into the directory structure generated by (1). My thought was to do a full remote build via command line and then use the remote development functionality via Netbeans. However, this did not work because the remote development functionality was synchronizing the files in a binary format on the remote side and this obviously confused the source control system. I've instead used a remote desktop solution with netbeans installed on the remote machine which is cumbersome.
mrvolleyball

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another item I forgot to mention

Remote development:
3) I've been doing out of source builds and the Remote development solution seemed confused by this. When I initially set it up the build would fail. This is part of what sent me on the tangent described in (2) which allowed the build to succeed but the binary files created by Netbeans to synchronize changes caused confusion that would kill the build. It's possible I was missing some prescribed way of making this work, but that's my 2cents.
Vladimir Kvashin
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Your wishes for next release of CND Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm responsible for remote development. Thank you for letting me know
your issues.

I'd love to fix issues you mention. But let me first propose you a
better workaround.
There are two command line options:

1) -J-Dcnd.remote.scp=true
allows to select more synchronization options in Host Properties dialog
(or when setting up a host)
Try selecting SFTP. Although not officially supported, it seems to works
ok and will probably suit you better.

2) -J-Dcnd.remote.sync.project.action=true
If set, an action "Upload to user@host" appears on folders in Projects Pane.
You can then use this action to manually upload your sources.

Could you please try and tell me
- whether (1) makes your build faster
- does manual upload take long?

Thank you,
Vladimir

On 03/01/2011 05:48 PM, mrvolleyball wrote:
Quote:
Keep up the good work Very Happy, I've started to like many things about Netbeans for C++. Here are my suggestions and issues I've encountered with it:

Parsing
1) The code completion related parsing gets in the way occasionally and effectively blocks development until it completes. It would be much more usable if this parsing occurred on a background thread so it didn't interfere with GUI events.

2) I now have a faster machine so this doesn't affect me anymore but: The parsing seems resource intensive and can cripple a machine to the point of rendering the IDE useless. A switch to disable parsing or (1) would be good.

CMake integration:
I've been using Netbeans for C++ with CMake projects on Linux and I've noticed some related things which I have found workarounds for but are a bit awkward.

Given: A directory structure with a root, level 1, and level 2 directories. CMake files exist at every level. Projects exist at level2. Building everything via the root cmake file (i.e. cmake .; make) from the command line is successful.

Issues:
1) I use the "create group" feature based on a directory containing projects to automatically load all the projects into the IDE. Afterwards I've found no easy way to build all the projects. I see how to build projects individually and where the make files have dependencies these dependencies get built as well. To work around this I do such things from the command line.

2) Although the make files contain all the necessary include directories, I must add them to (tools -> options -> C++ -> include directories) in order for the IDE's code completion to work properly.

3) Defines specified in the make files don't seem to be noticed by the code completion. For example I had DEBUG in the make files but had to manually add it to the IDE to be defined for code completion (tools -> options -> C++ -> macro definitions)

Remote development:
1) Remote building seems much slower than local building. So slow in fact that I've decided not to use it for now (maybe 5-10 times slower is my guess). If it were not so slow it'd be a great feature for me.

2) I tried working around (1) by checking out the code on the remote machine into the directory structure generated by (1). My thought was to do a full remote build via command line and then use the remote development functionality via Netbeans. However, this did not work because the remote development functionality was synchronizing the files in a binary format on the remote side and this obviously confused the source control system. I've instead used a remote desktop solution with netbeans installed on the remote machine which is cumbersome.

Vladimir Voskresensky
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:35 am    Post subject: Your wishes for next release of CND Reply with quote

Hi, mrvolleyball

Thanks for all your feedback.
Could I ask you and try NB 7 Beta 2 and confirm if issues from Parsing
section are still in place or they are resolved.

Btw, about extracting settings from makefile.
If you can build from IDE => after Clean&Build action you will see in
Output window an icon which allow you to configure code assistance based
on make log => compiler options should be extracted and put into your
project files.

Thanks!
Vladimir.

On 03/01/2011 05:48 PM, mrvolleyball wrote:
Quote:

Parsing

CMake integration:

Issues:

Remote development:

mrvolleyball

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vladimir,

I'll give your suggestions a try soon when I have some spare cycles.
romulus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giuseppe.Busi wrote:
Hi CND developers,
my whishes for new release is a better support for not supported compilers, like the Microchip MPLABC30 (that is a "dialet" of GNU GCC).
Thank you.
Reguards,
Giuseppe Busi

Hi CND Team. I would also like support for more compilers, especially for increasingly more and more popular free SDCC compiler, with all its C language extensions and inline assembler.
mrvolleyball

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Vladimir's suggestion I tried to give remote debbuging a try in NB 7.0 RC1. However, I was having difficulties.

I create a new thread for my issues here:
http://forums.netbeans.org/viewtopic.php?t=38083&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    NetBeans Forums -> C/C++ Users All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: