NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cannot filter out ThreadPoolExecutor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hendrix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:53 pm    Post subject: cannot filter out ThreadPoolExecutor Reply with quote

I recently started using NetBeans for its profiling capabilities, however I have run into a problem with setting my filters. I have tried many different configurations, but always the java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run() class consumes 99.4% of the "self time". This makes it very difficult for me to determine what is really going on with the rest of my classes. For my profiler configuration, I have set the filter to "Profile only project classes", yet this ThreadPoolExecutor class, and six other classes sneak their way into my profiling results. I have also selected "Profile new Threads/Runnables" under the advanced options. I can filter out the class on the Live Profiling Results tab, but the "Self time" tab does not normalize after the undesired classes are removed. I would appreciate any help in figuring out how to filter out these extra classes.

I am running NetBeans IDE 6.9 on a MacPro, and have tried using both Mac OS X 10.6.4 and Windows 7.

Thank you for your help,
Philip
Tomas Hurka
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: cannot filter out ThreadPoolExecutor Reply with quote

Hi Philip,

On 13 Jul 2010, at 14:53, hendrix wrote:

Quote:
I recently started using NetBeans for its profiling capabilities, however I have run into a problem with setting my filters. I have tried many different configurations, but always the java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run() class consumes 99.4% of the "self time". This makes it very difficult for me to determine what is really going on with the rest of my classes. For my profiler configuration, I have set the filter to "Profile only project classes", yet this ThreadPoolExecutor class, and six other classes sneak their way into my profiling results. I have also selected "Profile new Threads/Runnables" under the advanced options. I can filter out the class on the Live Profiling Results tab, but the "Self time" tab does not normalize after the undesired classes are removed. I would appreciate any help in figuring out how to filter out these extra classes.

The reason you see java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run() in your results is that you are using 'Profile new Threads/Runnables'. With this option every implementation of java.lang.Runnable.run() method is set as root method. If you disable it, you will get the results you expect.

Bye,
--
Tomas Hurka <mailto:address-removed>
NetBeans Profiler http://profiler.netbeans.org
VisualVM http://visualvm.dev.java.net
Software Engineer, Developer Platforms Group
Sun Microsystems, Praha Czech Republic
OlaD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have the same problem as the original poster in this thread. I have some *.run() classes in the top of my profiling list even though i filtered out the classes.
The difference is I don't have the option "Profile new Threads/Runnables" enabled but still I have this problem.

I'm running 6.9.1 Build 201011082200 on Vista.

Thx Ola
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Profiler Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: