NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Ruby still on the NetBeans radar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Is Ruby still on the NetBeans radar? Reply with quote

Following Erno's recent statement: "the situation at the moment is that I don't have much time to work on NB Ruby", I notice that the NetBeans 7 New and Noteworth page is devoid of Ruby items (and Python for that matter).

It appears to me that NetBeans is being targeted at Java and even PHP development, and that support for other programming languages is falling by the wayside.

I hope that this is not the case, because developing Ruby via Netbeans has been a splendid experience!

This would not be an issue if Ruby and Rails weren't themselves evolving at some pace. Already, I am finding that developing Rails 3 applications with Netbeans is not as polished as it has been with Rails 2. Test integration is not as good, and Running Rake tasks is taking more effort for example.

Normally, I'd be happy to put up with some lag between language changes and the IDE full integrating the change, as long as I am sure that effort is being made to make the IDE catch up soon. My worry is that Netbeans is being allowed to fall behind to a point where the niggles aren't addressed and it will become more and more difficult to carry on using this IDE with the latest versions of the language.

Please reassure me that this is not the case.
Paul
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: Is Ruby still on the NetBeans radar? Reply with quote

+1 for me. I want to use RVM with Ruby 1.9.2 and Rails 3 with NetBeans
and am patient for now, since NetBeans works pretty well in general.
I'd like to know someone if working on the issues.
ReggieB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over a week and no reassurance coming forth. That's not good!
mattslay

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I think this thing is dying fast for Ruby.

I had heard and seen the same thing about Apptana RadRails ( http://www.aptana.com/products/studio3/releasenotes ), but I just checked and they at least the did release ver 3 Beta update on 2010-10-27, so at least they are still moving along. I may go check out the beta release.

Also, I may even drop $99 to check out RubyMine. They also have a beta 3 release available right now. http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/nextversion/index.html
fburleigh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattslay wrote:

I had heard and seen the same thing about Apptana RadRails ( http://www.aptana.com/products/studio3/releasenotes ), but I just checked and they at least the did release ver 3 Beta update on 2010-10-27, so at least they are still moving along. I may go check out the beta release.

Also, I may even drop $99 to check out RubyMine. They also have a beta 3 release available right now. http://www.jetbrains.com/ruby/nextversion/index.html

Another +1. I hope NB doesn't abandon Ruby (and Rails). But if it's to go that way, it would be better if the NB admins would simply say so so we can focus on Aptana or something else (VIM, anyone? Wink. Miring users in ambivalence is not helpful to anyone.
Vicente Bosch Campos
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Is Ruby still on the NetBeans radar? Reply with quote

Redcar is a really nice environment and cross platform IDE http://redcareditor.com/ they made a tone of improvements on their last version.

On Nov 5, 2010, at 2:10 PM, fburleigh wrote:

Quote:

mattslay wrote:
Quote:

Another +1. I hope NB doesn't abandon Ruby (and Rails). But if it's to go that way, it would be better if the NB admins would simply say so so we can focus on Aptana or something else (VIM, anyone? Wink. Miring users in ambivalence is not helpful to anyone.

ReggieB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:35 am    Post subject: Signs of life Reply with quote

A new patch was released this weekend. If you look at the details, there were some Ruby specific updates. This does suggest that at least Ruby support isn't being dropped.

However, if you look at the detail, the Ruby patches were released on 03-Aug-2010. This is about the time of Erno's statement regarding not having time to devote to Ruby issues.

I would suggest that if you want to influence what happens with Ruby support in NetBeans, that the best was is to get involved in activities such as NetCAT, and get Ruby view points into these initiatives.
ReggieB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing some progress on one of my Rails 3 related bugs:

http://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=191788

I think this confirms that if we want to keep Netbeans as a Ruby/Rails IDE we need to get involved!. Complacency will see the Ruby communitry lose an excellent resource.
mark100net

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Is Ruby still on the NetBeans radar? Reply with quote

I always thought that last line ("0 tests....") was just indicating that I didn't have any integration tests.

Do you have integration tests in your project?

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 3:55 AM, ReggieB <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

I'm seeing some progress on one of my Rails 3 related bugs:

http://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=191788

I think this confirms that if we want to keep Netbeans as a Ruby/Rails IDE we need to get involved!. Complacency will see the Ruby communitry lose an excellent resource.[/b]

------------------------
Main development platform Windows 7 Pro (and occasionally Ubuntu and/or Mac).

ReggieB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any integration tests. However, just to rule it out I've added one to see what happens:

A section appears towards the bottom of the test containing the results of the integration test and below that ...... the summary line with all zeros as originally reported.

Here is an example:
-------------------------------
1) Failure:
test_foo(NewClassTest) [./test/integration/new_class_test.rb:12]:
TODO: Write test.

Finished in 0.100006 seconds.

1 tests, 1 assertions, 1 failures, 0 errors, 0 pendings, 0 omissions, 0 notifications
Errors running test:integration!
0% passed

Finished in 0.0 seconds.
0 tests, 0 failures, 0 errors
dyrathror

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal impression is that NB is going down the drain including several other OS projects which were mainly supported by Sun.

I haven't had much time during the last month to visit the forum cause I moved to Australia and what do I see as I come back now. The forum is flooded with Spam. It doesn't seem that there are still a lot of people in charge for supporting all of this. Sad

I am moving back to where I have begun ... VIM / bash. If someone would have told me this some years ago I would have laughed. Twisted Evil
ReggieB

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Fears confirmed Reply with quote

So I was right:

http://forums.netbeans.org/viewtopic.php?t=35699

Evil or Very Mad
ReggieB

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: integration tests Reply with quote

Integration tests
To be honest, until this thread I didn't have any. However, I think there is a place for them and I do now have one in my current project.

I think they make sense when you have a multi-step process you want to make sure works. For me, it was creating an article, submitting it for moderation, and then having a moderator accept or reject it. An integration test allows me to easily step through the process and ensure changes occur as I expect them too.

If all your pages are standalone - submit request and receive a response (i.e. bog standard Rails app), then I'm not sure integration tests are that useful. However, if you want to test flow through a sequence of pages, they are very handy.
vra5107

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like even this thread is dying fast. I have studied about netbeans platform development, but never had a chance to work with it.

I am a huge fan of Netbeans and I hate to see ruby netbeans die.

If anybody has Netbeans Ruby specfic code extracted and posted somewhere, I'd be interested in working towards the development. Eagarly awaiting a response.
lufe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news?

Is Ruby on Rails on Netbeans dead?

Also de forum is full of spam...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Ruby Users All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: