NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to change Netbeans to a darker "theme" - is there a substitute for Substance module?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: How to change Netbeans to a darker "theme" - is there a substitute for Substance module? Reply with quote

I like dark backgrounds with light foreground colors. So I use the "City Lights" profile (with some changes to make it less garish to me). This takes care of the NB editor. But how about the rest of NB? I know of no way of customizing this in a similar way - except to use an L&F such as Substance. There used to be a nice module to make it easy to integrate with NB:
https://substance-netbeans.dev.java.net/
But according to the web site, development and maintainance of this module has been discontinued. Is there another, easy way of achieving what I want? Netbeans should work by giving Substance as the --laf argument, but reading the above site, there were a couple things the module did to make everything look "right" in NB.

thnx for any info,
tom
Fabrizio Giudici
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: How to change Netbeans to a darker "theme" - is there a substitute for Substance module? Reply with quote

Thomas Wolf wrote:
Quote:

I like dark backgrounds with light foreground colors. So I use the
"City Lights" profile (with some changes to make it less garish to
me). This takes care of the NB editor. But how about the rest of
NB? I know of no way of customizing this in a similar way - except to
use an L&F such as Substance. There used to be a nice module to make
it easy to integrate with NB:
But according to the web site, development and maintainance of this
module has been discontinued. Is there another, easy way of achieving
what I want? Netbeans should work by giving Substance as the --laf
argument, but reading the above site, there were a couple things the
module did to make everything look "right" in NB.

thnx for any info,
tom

I'm pretty sorry that Kirill had to give up with substance (but I still
hope somebody can help him and keep the project alive); in any case,
given that NetBeans works fine with J6U10 and Nimbus, I'd have a look on
how to customize Nimbus.

--
Fabrizio Giudici, Ph.D. - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."
weblogs.java.net/blog/fabriziogiudici - www.tidalwave.it/blog
address-removed - mobile: +39 348.150.6941
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: How to change Netbeans to a darker "theme" - is there a substitute for Substance module? Reply with quote

I use Nimbus, but I have no idea how I would customize it - and only for Netbeans.

There should really be more customizability of colors directly in Netbeans. I mean how difficult would it be to provide a dialog that allows you to select the colors used for the various windows and then save this info for subsequent invocations? I have no clue, as I don't know the NB code, but they already have this kind of dialog for the editor - wouldn't there be *some* reuse?

NB devs - could you keep this in mind for 6.6 or 7.0? Should I write an enhancement issue or is there one for this already? I can't find anything in bugzilla (but that's not surprising - i never find anything with my searches Sad

Thanks,
tom

p.s. I did find one issue: http://www.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=91614
but it's pretty high-level regarding L&F support - dont think it addresses my specific concern.

Fabrizio Giudici wrote:
Quote:
Thomas Wolf wrote:
Quote:

I like dark backgrounds with light foreground colors. So I use the "City Lights" profile (with some changes to make it less garish to me). This takes care of the NB editor. But how about the rest of NB? I know of no way of customizing this in a similar way - except to use an L&F such as Substance. There used to be a nice module to make it easy to integrate with NB:
But according to the web site, development and maintainance of this module has been discontinued. Is there another, easy way of achieving what I want? Netbeans should work by giving Substance as the --laf argument, but reading the above site, there were a couple things the module did to make everything look "right" in NB.

thnx for any info,
tom

I'm pretty sorry that Kirill had to give up with substance (but I still hope somebody can help him and keep the project alive); in any case, given that NetBeans works fine with J6U10 and Nimbus, I'd have a look on how to customize Nimbus.

Fabrizio Giudici
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: How to change Netbeans to a darker "theme" - is there a substitute for Substance module? Reply with quote

Thomas Wolf wrote:
Quote:
I use Nimbus, but I have no idea how I would customize it - and only for Netbeans.

There should really be more customizability of colors directly in Netbeans. I mean how difficult would it be to provide a dialog that allows you to select the colors used for the various windows and then save this info for subsequent invocations? I have no clue, as I don't know the NB code, but they already have this kind of dialog for the editor - wouldn't there be *some* reuse?

NB devs - could you keep this in mind for 6.6 or 7.0? Should I write an enhancement issue or is there one for this already? I can't find anything in bugzilla (but that's not surprising - i never find anything with my searches Sad

Thanks,
tom

but it's pretty high-level regarding L&F support - dont think it addresses my specific concern.

Adding an issue is always a good thing, otherwise we keep on speaking in vain Smile

Quote:
--
address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email]) - mobile: +39 348.150.6941
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: How to change Netbeans to a darker "theme" - is there a substitute for Substance module? Reply with quote

I created an enhancement bug for this: http://www.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=151069

Please vote for it it, if you feel like you should be able to customize NB window colors.
tom

Fabrizio Giudici wrote:
Quote:
Thomas Wolf wrote:
Quote:

Thanks,
tom

Adding an issue is always a good thing, otherwise we keep on speaking in vain Smile

Quote:
--
address-removed - mobile: +39 348.150.6941
kristian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try this: http://www.mediabits.dk/php/netbeans-the-dark-side/ - It is based on Metal, and not perfect.. but it does give you a nice dark background.
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: How to change Netbeans to a darker "theme" - is there a substitute for Substance module? Reply with quote

Thanks Kristian.
I gave it a try and it works pretty well. The only caveat is the same as I had when I used to try various dark themes with "Substance" a couple years ago: it seemed to slow the IDE down a little (painting). So, I'm not sure I'll stick with it.

But thanks again anyhow.
tom

kristian wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
You can try this: http://www.mediabits.dk/php/netbeans-the-dark-side/ - It is based on Metal, and not perfect.. but it does give you a nice dark background.

Marcelo Ruiz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Netbeans Dark Reply with quote

Hi all!

As many of you, I've been trying to get NetBeans 6.5 to work with a Dark Theme for a while, until I finally found this:

http://personales.ya.com/nimrod/faq-en.html

I created then my own Twisted Evil Dark Theme . It's far from being perfect, but I think it looks quite good.

I'm attaching a Zip file with the contents of what you need in case you want to try it.

In windows XP with Java SE6 installed just follow these 5 simple steps:

1 - Copy nimrodlf.j16.jar into your %ProgramFiles%/NetBeans 6.5/platform9/lib folder.

2 - Copy MarceloDark.theme into your %ProgramFiles%NetBeans 6.5 folder.

3 - Append in netbeans_default_options of your %ProgramFiles%NetBeans 6.5/etc/netbeans.conf what is in the file "ToAddInNetBeansConf.txt"

4 - Copy the folder "Java Marcelo's Dark" into your %Documents&Settings%\.netbeans\6.5\config\Editors\FontsColors folder.

5 - Start NetBeans and go to Tools->Options->Fonts and Colors and select "Java Marcelo's Dark" to be the active profile.

That's it!

Note: My fonts & colors profile was created to work with java code, but if you're not, you can customize it (mine is based on the profile "Ruby Dark Pastels").

If you try it, let me know what you think of it... maybe we can make it better.
If you downloaded the version I posted before, try with the new files, which have the latest version of NimROD L&F for Java SE6 with some minor bugs corrected when used with NB6.5. The theme was also modified to be able to read code in the javadoc window (the javadoc module has a bug because it uses hard typed colors that is already reported).
Ciao for now!

Marcelo Smile

Dark Theme.zip
 Description:
Zip that contains all the files to set up the dark theme.

Download
 Filename:  Dark Theme.zip
 Filesize:  175.97 KB
 Downloaded:  2454 Time(s)

Last edited by Marcelo Ruiz on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marcelo Ruiz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: ScreenShot Reply with quote

For the curious, a screen shot of Dark NetBeans as result of following the steps of my previous topic.
Enjoy!

Marcelo.

sshot-1.png
 Description:
PNG Picture
 Filesize:  139.58 KB
 Viewed:  49006 Time(s)

sshot-1.png

capnhud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you download the file for the screenshot in this thread?

Edit nvrmind had to scroll sideways to see the download.
capnhud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: