NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NB Hints documentation - unbalanced arrays

View previous topic :: View next topic  
theshadow27

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: NB Hints documentation - unbalanced arrays Reply with quote

The Wiki ( http://wiki.netbeans.org/Java_Hints ) was last updated for 6.9. There are many new hints with no explanation as to their purpose.

I know we can disable them, but somebody added them for a reason. For example, this one I can not figure out for the life of me:

"Unbalanced read/write with arrays" => "The array is only read from, never written to"
(provided by hints/bugs/Unbalanced.java)

This is triggered in a utility class with a static final array declaration for hexadecimal encoding:
Code:
private static final char[] DIGITS = "0123456789ABCDEF".toCharArray();

If it is declared as
Code:
private static final char[] DIGITS = {'0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F'};

there is no warning. Perhaps this is a bug in the hints, in which case I can report it in bugzilla, but my question still stands:

Why is it bad to only read from an array? (/why isn't the documentation up to date)
mkozeny

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just usually means you forgot something, like a variable which is written to but never read. I am using NetBeans Dev Build 20130521 and this hint is appearing both for
Code:

private static final char[] DIGITS = "0123456789ABCDEF".toCharArray();

and
Code:

private static final char[] DIGITS = {'0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', 'A', 'B', 'C', 'D', 'E', 'F'};
theshadow27

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkozeny wrote:
It just usually means you forgot something, like a variable which is written to but never read.

That is the intent of the hint (actually, I was referring to the opposite hint, read from but not written to) but it was malfunctioning. The code posted above (almost 4 years ago!) was functional, and the array was both written to and used. In java.lang.String.toCharArray method,

Code:

/**
     * Converts this string to a new character array.
     * @return  a newly allocated character array whose length is the length
     *          of this string and whose contents are initialized to contain
     *          the character sequence represented by this string.
     */
    public char[] toCharArray() {
        // Cannot use Arrays.copyOf because of class initialization order issues
        char result[] = new char[value.length];
        System.arraycopy(value, 0, result, 0, value.length);
        return result;
    }

The array is clearly written to by System.arraycopy, thus the hint was incorrectly firing.

mkozeny wrote:
I am using NetBeans Dev Build 20130521 and this hint is appearing both

Interesting, I have been using 7.3 (201302132200) for a while now and this seems to have been fixed. I will check the dev build, it might be a regression.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: