NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Sad Is That?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sutphinwb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: How Sad Is That? Reply with quote

You are never going to believe me, but ever since NB stopped support for the SAF (swing application framework), I have had little to motivate me to use Netbeans. The thing that got me to NB in the first place was Matisse even with the silly .form file. I was derided by my Eclipse friends (teased really) about GUI builder use; the usual "walked a mile in the snow" bs. However, I could whack out Java toollets very fast with a pretty decent form and menus and buttons and Actions, etc, etc to the point they encourged NB projects along side Eclipse. Now I'm still using 7.0.1 and pretty much on the way to switching to Eclipse and GUI Builder (Google) for no better reason than there is no compelling reason to stay with NB. SAF wasn't much, I'll give you that, but it was there and the need it addressed is not being addressed anymore. Don't even go there with the NB or even the Eclipse frameworks ("It doesn't even have to look like Netbeans!") because if you do you don't understand the utility coder.

I would like to know if I, a mortal coder, could effect a template to the "new" NB so that it would at least allow me to use SAF or BSAF in some manner similar to the old days. At least I would not be staring at close to thirty "do something minor" applications that I have to port to something that I think will have some future (Google GUI).

Thanks
BarbaraBond

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must use the eclipse for it,it is more user friendly than any other GUI.It covers almost all the feature which make it more outrageous than the prevoius one.
charleisol

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

i agree with members who are suggesting eclipse for it
-
martin_vahi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Mixed Feelings Reply with quote

Well, NetBeans has been my favorite IDE for years.

However, as I describe in my blog (in April 2013),
http://martin.softf1.com/g/yellow_soap_opera_blog/deterioration-of-netbeans-at-the-oracle
I am considerably concerned about the future of the NetBeans.

On the other hand, NetBeans is a top-notch open source IDE. I believe that the developers have high motivation to improve it, unless their managers demand them to ship a flawed and incomplete product, e.g. proper amount of time for designing and refactoring is not allocated.[/url]
KonradZuse

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually find this thread to be a joke. We have 1 dude posting as like 4 people saying Eclipse > Netbeans, then we have others crap talking Netbeans on a netbeans forum.

Swing is dead, it's development is done with, and support is dying out.

I used Eclipse for awhile, and really loved the code completion, especially things like "sysout" + alt + space for the system print.

I came to Netbeans, like you, for the GUI Builder. I didn't know about any builders for Eclipse(the plugins) but the Netbeans one did what I needed, when I needed it.

The "walking a mile in the snow" is pretty bs, people complain about you having to hard code things so you learn it. That's cool to learn, but you don't have to hard code everything in command prompt and work that way lol :p.

Right now I use FX, and if I wanted to I would use Scene Builder. I currently hardcore everything, as FX >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Swing by a looooong shot.

I personally like Netbeans because of it's HUGE plugin support. That crap blog talked about Ruby support dying, but that is false.

I also like the Web Services/DB connectivity(not too sure if Eclipse has that built in as well).

A lot of people like multiple environments, but to me I'm good with Netbeans, and maybe some Scene Builder(They are implementing Scene Builder into Netbeans for JDK 9).

So, yeah, the "support" for Netbeans is still there. There are "nightly builds" basically every night for JDK 8, so I'm not sure where the info of no one's doing anything, comes from.
martin_vahi

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Mixed Feelings Reply with quote

Mack06 wrote:
I Your blog is nothing but horse-feathers-FUD.

Well, as the author of the "horse-feathers-FUD" I will engage a small flame-war here, partly just for fun, but partly still to lead people's attention to an elephant in the room.

Sometimes some action just seems to be so reckless that I wonder, if the flaw reports would even help. Hence my hesitation to file them.

I believe that it's related to management in Oracle. Management is something that is beyond the influence of real, hard-working, developers, regardless of the availability of flaw (bug) reports. If the management demands features and punishes, even indirectly, unintentionally, the people, who prefer to fix one's flaws, refactor the architecture before implementing new features, then the developers, who provide new features before fixing bugs appear to be more competitive and are taken as "the norm" of good workers.

Besides, I've seen plenty of developers, who do not even care, whether their software is clean and fast and thoughtfully designed. They just slam something together, ship it and are happy with the result. The management is also happy, because the speed of delivery is superb. The rest of the developers are seen as slow and unproductive and hence expensive. At recent times I think that may be I as an employee should do the same: ship some crap and fast and then feel happy about it and when the client suffers or sales-people start to receive phone calls, think on my own, "Sc__w them! I delivered exactly what I was asked to deliver.". I should just never feel any worries, no matter what happens around me. One of the people that I know once said that that's the kind of software development that the business IT people do. I think he's right, although I have also seen really sloppy code being run in a form of firmware, in hundreds of commercially critical units.

Call it FUD or weaning, but that's life! Very Happy
martin_vahi

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q.E.D.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Community Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: