NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

7.3 Beta hangs on Mac OS X

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbwnetbeans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: 7.3 Beta hangs on Mac OS X Reply with quote

I installed 7.3b on Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2). When I run it it hangs with the spinning beach ball of death and I have to force quit. I've tried doing a complete clean install and tried re-downloading and installing but I have the same result each time. 7.2 works fine.

-Noah
AeneasTroy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean it freezes?

Netbeans 7.2 does that.

It doesn't ever unfreeze, even if I wait 15 minutes.

It is usually only on startup time when I click something before it is fully loaded. I don't usually have problems otherwise.

IT IS HUGE. It takes up half my memory!
carljmosca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: NetBeans 7.3 beta on OS X Reply with quote

It hangs for me too. I have tried it on my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air with the same result. 7.2 is running OK on both computers.
--marc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Netbeans 7.3Beta hangs on Add new project. Reply with quote

Netbeans 7.2 run OK on my MacBook Pro with OS 10.7.5.

However, Netbeans 7.3beta hangs indefinitely.

Netbeans 7.3beta particulars ...
1. installs OK
2. launch & quit (without doing anything else) is initially OK
3. Launch > New Project > JavaFX > Example ... hangs. Activity monitor shows all 8GB of RAM becomes consumed ... only running Netbeans and Activity monitor. Lots of disk activity. Shocked

Note this is a fresh 7.3beta install without doing any additional steps like activating any plugins and preferences from 7.2 are not imported.

Would also hang after adding a simple project after a fresh clean 7.3beta install.

I'm wondering if the installed plug-in (in this case Java SE) needs to be activated be creating or importing a project which needs the platform plugin. Question
Fabrizio Giudici
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: 7.3 Beta hangs on Mac OS X Reply with quote

On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 02:03:36 +0200, carljmosca <address-removed>
wrote:

Quote:
It hangs for me too. I have tried it on my MacBook Pro and MacBook Air
with the same result. 7.2 is running OK on both computers.

Fine for me, installed without importing from previous versions, then
opened a project and compiled it. First smoke test ok. Here's my
environment:

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 7.3 Beta (Build 201210011125)
Java: 1.6.0_35; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 20.10-b01-428
System: Mac OS X version 10.7.5 running on x86_64; MacRoman; en_US (nb)
User directory: /Users/fritz/Library/Application Support/NetBeans/7.3beta
Cache directory: /Users/fritz/Library/Caches/NetBeans/7.3beta

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."
http://tidalwave.it/fabrizio/blog - address-removed
lanthale

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Netbeans 7.3 beta hangs on OSX - problem solved Reply with quote

I had the same problem and solved it to by switching the default JDK from 1.7 back to 1.6 with the Java preferncepane.

It seems that netbeans and JDK 1.7 on OSX 10.8.2 has some problems. I have not seen any hangs with other application so that indicates that netbeans has some problems with JDK 1.7 on OSX.

Clemens
nbwnetbeans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Netbeans 7.3 beta hangs on OSX - problem solved Reply with quote

lanthale wrote:
I had the same problem and solved it to by switching the default JDK from 1.7 back to 1.6 with the Java preferncepane.

It seems that netbeans and JDK 1.7 on OSX 10.8.2 has some problems. I have not seen any hangs with other application so that indicates that netbeans has some problems with JDK 1.7 on OSX.

Clemens

Yes I haven't switched to 1.6 because well I need 1.7 features so this is a deal breaker for me.

Seems like a pretty glaring error even for a beta.

-Noah
mcdewey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This works without hanging:

Product Version: NetBeans IDE 7.3 Beta (Build 201210011125)
Java: 1.7.0_10-ea; Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 23.6-b04
System: Mac OS X version 10.8.2 running on x86_64; US-ASCII; en_US (nb)
User directory: /Users/deweym/Library/Application Support/NetBeans/7.3beta
Cache directory: /Users/deweym/Library/Caches/NetBeans/7.3beta

I knew it had to work somehow...I just saw it all demoed at JavaOne. After going over my notes, I saw that they mentioned 1.7.0_10, so I got it from the early access site, installed, rebooted, then created a new project, making sure that the JavaFX Platform was jdk1.7.0_10 (as specified by the Manage Platforms... button). Also, I made sure that 1.7.0_10 was the default for MacOS by using the Utilities/Java Preferences.app.

Whew!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: