NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto-complete question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobym

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Auto-complete question Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm just trying Netbeans for the first time, after a spell with Zend Studio. I'm not sure if my expectations are out, but auto-complete doesn't seem to work quite how I'd expect it - should it be giving me hints for PHP functions? That is, if I start typing 'str...' I'm expecting to see a list of PHP functions that start with 'str', is that not the case (because nothing happens)?

Thanks,

Toby
Petr Pisl
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Auto-complete question Reply with quote

Hi Toby,

just press CTRL+SPACE shortcut to invoke code completion window.

The code completion window is displayed automatically only in some cases
like after -> or new keyword. In other cases you should use CTRL+SPACE.

Regards,
Petr
Quote:
Hi all,

I'm just trying Netbeans for the first time, after a spell with Zend Studio. I'm not sure if my expectations are out, but auto-complete doesn't seem to work quite how I'd expect it - should it be giving me hints for PHP functions? That is, if I start typing 'str...' I'm expecting to see a list of PHP functions that start with 'str', is that not the case (because nothing happens)?

Thanks,

Toby

tobym

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto-complete question Reply with quote

Superb, thanks Petr, much appreciated!

Petr Pisl wrote:
Hi Toby,

just press CTRL+SPACE shortcut to invoke code completion window.

The code completion window is displayed automatically only in some cases
like after -> or new keyword. In other cases you should use CTRL+SPACE.

Regards,
Petr
Umkus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've too faced this annoing thing about NB 6.5 PHP-version. I've decided to try NB after Zend IDE 5.5(Eclipse version really s*cked). So in both Zend versions of 5.5 and 6 was this cool feature of an autocomplete suggestions window poping up automatically as I type first char. In NB I have to mannually press Ctrl+Space to see the suggestons.
I often work late at night and try making as less noise as it is possible when typing, besides coding this way also saves quite a huge ammount of time which othervise would be wasted on hitting this combination (not to mention the lifetime of your keyboard's space key). The strangest thing is that there IS a checkbox allowing the auto poping up of the suggestions window as I type but as I could understand (at least on my install) it does nothing. Either way I have to press ctrl+Space all the time I need to see the suggestions.

How can I make my Netbeans auto-popup suggestions popup *as I begin typing* without the Ctrl+Space keystroke?

Thanks in advance.
ig0r

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umkus +1!
When will it be OK?
Namelles One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, guys, I want it too.

Why we have autocomplete in C, C++, Java and don't have it in PHP and Python?

I think, that it is not correct.

What do you think about it?
Robert Gonzalez
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Auto-complete question Reply with quote

What type of autocomplete are you talking about? There is a ton of it
for me in my NetBeans.

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Namelles One <address-removed> wrote:
Quote:
Yes, guys, I want it too.

Why we have autocomplete in C, C++, Java and don't have it in PHP and Python?

I think, that it is not correct.

What do you think about it?

--
Robert A. Gonzalez
Namelles One

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A say about autocomplete without "ctrl+space" and other.

I want in PHP and in Python autocomplete like it in C++ project : I typed some first letters of name of my (or e. g. STL) class and then can choose it in popup window, click enter and continue writing my code.

I have it in C, C++ and Java projects, why I haven't it in PHP and Python projects?
kvncylmz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: really "auto" auto complete without ctrl+space Reply with quote

Netbeans seems promising, however, this one little feature might be a show-stopper for me (and for others I think).

In Komodo Edit (which is free and light weight) or Aptana Studio (which is free but costly in terms of system resources) autocomplete starts when you type a (few) letter(s) and provides autocompletion of functions, classes, methods, properties etc. To achieve he same thing in Netbeans you have to press ctrl+space, which is very inconvenient for some of us (and a waste of time and a potential source for getting tired earlier).

This semi-autocomplete is true for php and javascript as far as I checked. It would be very nice to be able to turn on code completion for php and javascript without this key combination, ie the completion starting when you start to type or have typed a few characters.

Is there a way to report this request to the developers (eg the bug systems feature request section)?
Tomasz Slota
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Auto-complete question Reply with quote

I've registered your request at:
http://www.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=157769

Thanks for giving us feedback,
Best Reagards.
Tomasz Slota

kvncylmz wrote:
Quote:
Netbeans seems promising, however, this one little feature might be a show-stopper for me (and for others I think).

In Komodo Edit (which is free and light weight) or Aptana Studio (which is free but costly in terms of system resources) autocomplete starts when you type a (few) letter(s) and provides autocompletion of functions, classes, methods, properties etc. To achieve he same thing in Netbeans you have to press ctrl+space, which is very inconvenient for some of us (and a waste of time and a potential source for getting tired earlier).

This semi-autocomplete is true for php and javascript as far as I checked. It would be very nice to be able to turn on code completion for php and javascript without this key combination, ie the completion starting when you start to type or have typed a few characters.

Is there a way to report this request to the developers (eg the bug systems feature request section)?

kvncylmz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thank you for adding it as a request to the database. Hope to see this feature implemented soon.

By the way, I forgot to thank for the great IDE. It has many good features which make it very very pleasurable to work with, so I hope this one feature is added as the icing on the cake.

Thanks to all developers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> PHP Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: