NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This forum needs upgrading

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreadedsemi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: This forum needs upgrading Reply with quote

x Sending password by email upon registeration
x Too many captcha and security checks, new posts go to editors. it's not the department of homeland security. is it? you can't be getting that much spam.

x phpbb feels like travelling through a time portal.

Cool
kitsuneae

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not the admin here, but I can still try to give some thoughts on why things are as they are around here.

Quote:
x Sending password by email upon registeration

Yes, it could be made more secure by not showing your password, but if someone spoofed your email it does let you know an account was made so you can do something about it.

As to using email for signups: not everyone has a cell phone that does texts nor does everyone want to use one just to get site confirmation. I hate sites that abuse texting as a "security measure"- it's not actually safer than email and it just gives another barrier to use.

Quote:
x Too many captcha and security checks, new posts go to editors. it's not the department of homeland security. is it? you can't be getting that much spam.

Spammers don't care how busy your site is and there are people who are paid to bypass captchas for a living so bots can get a foot in the door. There's also the unintentional spam made by people who don't know website decorum and make posts like "Help!!! This program sucks and doesn't work!" which, even though not meant as spam, are so unhelpful they pretty much are spam.

Typically once you get a few quality posts under your belt the restrictions will lighten up a lot. Just keep talking and you'll be fine!

Quote:
x phpbb feels like travelling through a time portal.

Websites should reflect their audience. You're not going to be programming while on a cell phone, so there's no point in paying for a mobile phone type bulletin board. Also, there's an adage that most programmers aren't artists, which would explain why the board is wearing the boring subsilver skin.

I hope that helps a little!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Community Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: