NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NB 8.1 and RESTful - Maven, Java7, MySql 5.1 and Tomcat - THE RIGHT WAY

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzzato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: NB 8.1 and RESTful - Maven, Java7, MySql 5.1 and Tomcat - THE RIGHT WAY Reply with quote

Hi, all.
I'm Alberto. I've more than 20 years experience using Delphi.
Now, I'm moving to Java, so, in this context I'm a newbie. Very Happy

So, I'm sorry while me question sounds like stupid.
I create a web app using technologies specified in subject.
First, a webapp under MAVEN node in "new..".
Next, I used wizard to make RESTful from database.
I choosed only one table (I need to LEARN!).
Finally, run.
I see start page with default "hello world" message.
But..

1) if I use "test resource uri" on autogenerated HTTP methos, NB says "unable to open resource url".
2) if I use "test restful web service" using "locally generated", i see a web page with empty left side insthead links to exposed services
2) if I use "test restful web service" using "web test client in project", I see a web page with a dialog with message starting with "Cannot access WADL...".

Note that I'm using only autogenerated source code without any changes.
And this task list is the same indicated here:

https://netbeans.org/kb/docs/websvc/rest.html

Can anyone help me, to UNDERSTAND? Embarassed

Thanks in advance.

A.
cp7781

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to learn something stupid like RESTful webservices? You think I'm biased? Well, let me explain.

If you offer a service like weather data, you definitely don't want to make the expensive calculations to provide adequate data, and then get robbed by the internet of things, that doesn't even visit your website to click on one of your small revenue advertising banners. And REST offers just that. An API for public data grabbing.

Really, if you need a business interface, then create one of your own, and make your customers pay for what you've done for them. I mean, if you have customers. Lucky you.

Alright. I have said enough. At least you got an answer, right?

Rest in pieces.
zzzato

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
As first, many thanks for your answer.
I'm a newbie, and my idea is (maybe was...) that solution for my study case is REST/RESTful. My study case is :

using a webapp to espose "services" usable by mobile (ios/android) app and windows desktop application (written in delphi, c# etc) .

So, i understand your idea and I will study it to understand if this model is right for my study case.
I found this:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19798-01/821-1841/bnboe/index.html

So, et me study and try...

Thanks.

A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Java EE Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: