NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

very stupid question about lookup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcheung63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Hi
I have implemented my own server in a module, in another module i am ok to lookup its instance by :

for (MainService s : Lookup.getDefault().lookupAll(MainService.class)) {
ModuleLib.log(s + " = " + s.peter());
}

But i need to include module A in module B. That is not right i thing, because when i did that, the toolbar button (i meant the actions) from module A will crash when i install module B. Another big question is : how about they both need to lookup each other, do that need to include each other?

thanks
from Peter=
markiewb

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

How about an API-module? 

Den 3 jan. 2017 2:36 em skrev "Peter Cheung" <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>:
Quote:
Hi
   I have implemented my own server in a module, in another module i am ok to lookup its instance by :

}

But i need to include module A in module B. That is not right i thing, because when i did that, the toolbar button (i meant the actions) from module A will crash when i install module B. Another big question is : how about they both need to lookup each other, do that need to include each other?

thanks
from Peter
mcheung63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

What is API module? any tutorial of that?
thanks

Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:13 PM
To: dev
Subject: [platform-dev] Re: very stupid question about lookup

How about an API-module?

Den 3 jan. 2017 2:36 em skrev "Peter Cheung" <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>:
Quote:
Hi

}

thanks
from Peter
geertjan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-quick-start.html

Gj

On 3-1-2017 17:04, Peter Cheung wrote:

Quote:

thanks

From: Benno Markiewicz <address-removed> ([email]address-removed[/email])

How about an API-module?

Quote:
Hi

}

thanks
from Peter

mcheung63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Thanks, your link is working. But why i can only find my api-module in the same module suite? If the module is not in the same module suite, i can't find it in "module dependencies"?
thanks
from Peter

Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:07 AM
To: address-removed

NetBeans Platform Quick Start for NetBeans Platform
platform.netbeans.org
NetBeans Platform Quick Start. Welcome to the NetBeans Platform! The NetBeans Platform is a generic application framework primarily for Java desktop applications.

Gj

Quote:

thanks

How about an API-module?

Quote:
Hi

}

thanks
from Peter

geertjan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Why would it not be in the same module suite?

Anyway, please follow that tutorial and apply it to your use case.

Gj

On 3-1-2017 17:52, Peter Cheung wrote:

Quote:

Thanks, your link is working. But why i can only find my api-module in the same module suite? If the module is not in the same module suite, i can't find it in "module dependencies"?
thanks
from Peter

From: geertjan wielenga <address-removed> ([email]address-removed[/email])
To: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])

https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-quick-start.html NetBeans Platform Quick Start for NetBeans Platform
platform.netbeans.org
NetBeans Platform Quick Start. Welcome to the NetBeans Platform! The NetBeans Platform is a generic application framework primarily for Java desktop applications.

Gj

Quote:

thanks

How about an API-module?

Quote:
Hi

}

thanks
from Peter

mcheung63

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

I followed the tutorial, it works. But i got two independent projects, they want to lookup each other, thats why they are not in the same module suite. Any hints?

Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:55 AM
To: address-removed

Gj

Quote:

thanks
from Peter

https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-quick-start.html NetBeans Platform Quick Start for NetBeans Platform
platform.netbeans.org

Gj

Quote:

thanks

How about an API-module?

Quote:
Hi

}

thanks
from Peter

geertjan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

No, that doesn't make sense. Different applications can't communicate with each other via Lookup, that's not what it's for.

Gj

On 3-1-2017 18:12, Peter Cheung wrote:

Quote:

I followed the tutorial, it works. But i got two independent projects, they want to lookup each other, thats why they are not in the same module suite. Any hints?

Gj

Quote:

thanks
from Peter

platform.netbeans.org

Gj

Quote:

thanks

How about an API-module?

Quote:
Hi

}

thanks
from Peter

Wade Chandler
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Are you trying to use these as “remote” services or through some other IPC mechanism, or do you just mean you have independent projects, which happen to build some libraries, and you want to use libraries across the projects? A few more details about what you are doing may help.
I have in the past created platforms as module suites, and then applications used those as various sets of dependencies. Both were “module suites”, and I have used those across projects. The output of that is a cluster. I was using Maven for that. You need to include a dependency on your module suite from your suite or application, similar to the way there is a dep for the NB suite, and then the individual modules will have deps on the individual modules.

I will see about some Maven specific tutorial on that perhaps, but maybe this can help some along with its reference links:
http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqWhatIsACluster
===================

Wade Chandler
e: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2017, at 12:12, Peter Cheung <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
From: geertjan wielenga <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:55 AMTo: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])Subject: [platform-dev] Re: very stupid question about lookup

Why would it not be in the same module suite?Anyway, please follow that tutorial and apply it to your use case.GjOn 3-1-2017 17:52, Peter Cheung wrote:
Quote:
thanks
from Peter
From: geertjan wielenga <address-removed> ([email]address-removed[/email])Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:07 AMTo: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])Subject: [platform-dev] Re: very stupid question about lookup

https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-quick-start.htmlNetBeans Platform Quick Start for NetBeans Platform
platform.netbeans.org

GjOn 3-1-2017 17:04, Peter Cheung wrote:
Quote:
thanks
From: Benno Markiewicz <address-removed> ([email]address-removed[/email])Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:13 PMTo: devSubject: [platform-dev] Re: very stupid question about lookup

How about an API-module?
Quote:
Hi I have implemented my own server in a module, in another module i am ok to lookup its instance by : for (MainService s : Lookup.getDefault().lookupAll(MainService.class)) { ModuleLib.log(s + " = " + s.peter()); }But i need to include module A in module B. That is not right i thing, because when i did that, the toolbar button (i meant the actions) from module A will crash when i install module B. Another big question is : how about they both need to lookup each other, do that need to include each other?thanksfrom Peter

mcheung63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Sorry i mislead you, two applications for me means two independent modules, not same module suite.

geertjan wrote:
No, that doesn't make sense. Different applications can't communicate with each other via Lookup, that's not what it's for.

Gj

On 3-1-2017 18:12, Peter Cheung wrote:

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

thanks
from Peter

platform.netbeans.org

Gj

Quote:

thanks

How about an API-module?

Quote:
Hi

}

thanks
from Peter

mcheung63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBM seems can't install globally, so other module just can find my another module

https://netbeans.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=64873

And this document http://wiki.netbeans.org/HowToReuseModules seems outdated, these have no effect:

nbm.is.global=true
nbm.target.cluster=milkyway
mcheung63

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Thanks for you answer. I have read your link but still no idea. I have two modules (not in same module suite), i want to expose a function from module A to module B. Just can't do it now.

Wade Chandler wrote:
Are you trying to use these as “remote” services or through some other IPC mechanism, or do you just mean you have independent projects, which happen to build some libraries, and you want to use libraries across the projects? A few more details about what you are doing may help.
I have in the past created platforms as module suites, and then applications used those as various sets of dependencies. Both were “module suites”, and I have used those across projects. The output of that is a cluster. I was using Maven for that. You need to include a dependency on your module suite from your suite or application, similar to the way there is a dep for the NB suite, and then the individual modules will have deps on the individual modules.

I will see about some Maven specific tutorial on that perhaps, but maybe this can help some along with its reference links:
http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqWhatIsACluster
===================

Wade Chandler
e: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])

Quote:
On Jan 3, 2017, at 12:12, Peter Cheung <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
From: geertjan wielenga <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:55 AMTo: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])Subject: [platform-dev] Re: very stupid question about lookup

Why would it not be in the same module suite?Anyway, please follow that tutorial and apply it to your use case.GjOn 3-1-2017 17:52, Peter Cheung wrote:
Quote:
thanks
from Peter
From: geertjan wielenga <address-removed> ([email]address-removed[/email])Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 12:07 AMTo: address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])Subject: [platform-dev] Re: very stupid question about lookup

https://platform.netbeans.org/tutorials/nbm-quick-start.htmlNetBeans Platform Quick Start for NetBeans Platform
platform.netbeans.org

GjOn 3-1-2017 17:04, Peter Cheung wrote:
Quote:
thanks
From: Benno Markiewicz <address-removed> ([email]address-removed[/email])Sent: Tuesday, January 3, 2017 10:13 PMTo: devSubject: [platform-dev] Re: very stupid question about lookup

How about an API-module?
Quote:
Hi I have implemented my own server in a module, in another module i am ok to lookup its instance by : for (MainService s : Lookup.getDefault().lookupAll(MainService.class)) { ModuleLib.log(s + " = " + s.peter()); }But i need to include module A in module B. That is not right i thing, because when i did that, the toolbar button (i meant the actions) from module A will crash when i install module B. Another big question is : how about they both need to lookup each other, do that need to include each other?thanksfrom Peter

Boris Heithecker
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Hi,
here is how to make global updates and updates into a custom target cluster/folder work in a NetBeans Platform application: 
1. Set nbm.is.global=true and/or nbm.target.cluster="yourtargetcluster"

2. Create an instanceof org.netbeans.spi.autoupdate.AutoupdateClusterCreator as a service provider. Unless you have an appropriate AutoupdateClusterCreator service in your platform application, these properties have no effect and all updates will always be installed in the user dir! Unfortunately, this is poorly documented. 
The easy way to create one such AutoupdateClusterCreator was for me to adapt the source file of the default IDE implementation (http://hg.netbeans.org/main/file/37a3793b7675/updatecenters/src/org/netbeans/modules/updatecenters/resources/NetBeansClusterCreator.java ) to my own needs. Basically, all you have to do is replace one file name: "netbeans.clusters" must become "yourbrandingappname.clusters". You'll find the respective file in "install-dir/etc" of your application. 

Boris

2017-01-04 18:09 GMT+01:00 mcheung63 <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>:
Quote:
NBM seems can't install globally, so other module just can find my another module

And this document http://wiki.netbeans.org/HowToReuseModules seems outdated, these have no effect:

nbm.is.global=true

markiewb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: very stupid question about lookup Reply with quote

Thanks Boris, I added your findings to http://wiki.netbeans.org/DevFaqHowToReuseModules
With kind regards, markiewb

2017-01-04 22:54 GMT+01:00 Boris Heithecker <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>:
Quote:
Hi,
here is how to make global updates and updates into a custom target cluster/folder work in a NetBeans Platform application: 
1. Set nbm.is.global=true and/or nbm.target.cluster="yourtargetcluster"

2. Create an instanceof org.netbeans.spi.autoupdate.AutoupdateClusterCreator as a service provider. Unless you have an appropriate AutoupdateClusterCreator service in your platform application, these properties have no effect and all updates will always be installed in the user dir! Unfortunately, this is poorly documented. 
The easy way to create one such AutoupdateClusterCreator was for me to adapt the source file of the default IDE implementation (http://hg.netbeans.org/main/file/37a3793b7675/updatecenters/src/org/netbeans/modules/updatecenters/resources/NetBeansClusterCreator.java ) to my own needs. Basically, all you have to do is replace one file name: "netbeans.clusters" must become "yourbrandingappname.clusters". You'll find the respective file in "install-dir/etc" of your application. 

Boris

2017-01-04 18:09 GMT+01:00 mcheung63 <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])>:
Quote:

nbm.is.global=true

eh3an2010

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NetBeans Platform Quick Start for NetBeans Platform

this links ins not helped Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Platform Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: