NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too much HDD scratching when saving files and using the browser extension

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heyjoe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Too much HDD scratching when saving files and using the browser extension Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using Netbeans for developing PHP applications on my local machine and testing the html output in my Chrome browser (with F6). However I notice that on each file save (ctrl+s) and auto-referesh in the browser there is so active HDD scratching as if a lot of data is written/read when in fact the change in the file I am editing may be just 1 character.

I tried disabling the local history plugin and restarting but nothing changed, so it is not it. It is not the web server too because when I reload the html page in the browser with the Netbeans extension not active (i.e. after pressing the blue "Cancel" button) there is no scratching. It happens only when saving in Netbeans with the extension active.

So basically this is shortening the life of my HDD for just a few bytes of data. How can I prevent this unnecessary hard disk wear?
heyjoe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: I (may) have found a solution (or rather a workaround) Reply with quote

After a lot of testing with strace and inotifywatch I found that the log directory of netbeans is accessed way too many times for a single file save after changing just 1 character in the working file. So what I did:

Move/link ~/.netbeans/8.2/var/log to a tmpfs directory.

Now the situation has improved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> PHP Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: