NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SVN Conflict Problems
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dms489

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:05 pm    Post subject: SVN Conflict Problems Reply with quote

I am running NetBeans 7.0.1. It used to integrate beautifully with Tortoise SVN. Then I got carried away and updated Tortoise to its latest version:
TortoiseSVN 1.6.99, Build 21709 - 32 Bit , 2011/07/22 16:21:33
Subversion 1.7.0.
This apparently changed the fundamental working copy SVN info, because now I get no SVN functionality in NetBeans and the following pop-up when I open it:

Quote:
org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException: The path 'xxxx' appears to be part of a Subversion 1.7 or greater working copy. Please upgrade your Subversion client to use this working copy.

Fine - NetBeans seems to understand that my Subversion client needs updating, but I can't find anywhere how to do that.
Ondra Vrabec
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: SVN Conflict Problems Reply with quote

If you already use Subversion 1.7, then try to run the IDE with
-J-DsvnClientAdapterFactory=commandline

Dne 18.8.2011 21:05, dms489 napsal(a):
Quote:
I am running NetBeans 7.0.1. It used to integrate beautifully with Tortoise SVN. Then I got carried away and updated Tortoise to its latest version:
Subversion 1.7.0.
This apparently changed the fundamental working copy SVN info, because now I get no SVN functionality in NetBeans and the following pop-up when I open it:

Quote:
org.tigris.subversion.javahl.ClientException: The path 'xxxx' appears to be part of a Subversion 1.7 or greater working copy. Please upgrade your Subversion client to use this working copy.

Fine - NetBeans seems to understand that my Subversion client needs updating, but I can't find anywhere how to do that.

dms489

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: But I'm on Windows 7 ... Reply with quote

My NetBeans install is looking in the Tortoise SVN bin file for its repository stuff. I would be glad to download Subversion 1.7 if it was working, but the supplier web site indicates it's not there. Which makes me wonder how Tortoise got to version 1.7 before they did ...
kAlvaro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: SVN Conflict Problems Reply with quote

dms489 wrote:
Then I got carried away and updated Tortoise to its latest version:
Subversion 1.7.0.
This apparently changed the fundamental working copy SVN info.

Subversion 1.7 (still in beta phase) will introduce a fundamental change in the working copy format. Rather than a few hundred ".svn" directories scattered all around your directory tree, there will be a single ".svn" folder in the root directory (like in most other version control tools). Thus I would not recommend upgrading to 1.7 until you've verified that all your subversion clients have been migrated.

You can grab latest stable version of TortoiseSVN at the official site http://tortoisesvn.net/ , just click on the "Downloads" menu item in the top bar.

It's also worth noting that TortoiseSVN 1.7 will not upgrade *existing* working copies unless you tell it to, but it does not seem to support the old format.
dms489

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I do have just one .svn directory instead of the directories sprinkled throughout the project, and the Tortoise install warned me that this upgrade was not compatible with 1.6 and earlier. So my question boils down to this. If Tortoise SVN has figured out how to do this (it works fine outside NetBeans):
a. why is Subversion 1.7 still in beta?
b. why is Netbeans looking in Tortoise/bin for the subversion binaries. (It apparently searches around for the SVN support tools)
c. since NetBeans has made the connections, why is it not happy with the code it finds there?
prgTW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://ctf.open.collab.net/sf/frs/do/viewRelease/projects.csvn/frs.svn_release_candidates.windows

download 1.7RC and that's it ... You are ready to go Smile
dms489

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Ready to go ... ? Reply with quote

Sorry for the novice question, but I'm missing a step. I unpacked the svn stuff to Program Files/Subversion and went to Tools/Options/Versioning/Subversion to set the location of the svn executable.
Good news: didn't do any harm.
Bad news: still getting the complaint about updating SVN (sigh!)
prgTW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step 1:
Download & install CollabNet Subversion Client (currently v1.6)
http://www.open.collab.net/downloads/netbeans/
(You have to register)

Step 2:
CollabNet auto-update doesn't currently update svn binaries to v1.7 (perhaps because there is only beta right now), so You have to manually download 1.7RC:
https://ctf.open.collab.net/sf/frs/do/viewRelease/projects.csvn/frs.svn_release_candidates.windows

Step 3:
Unpack downloaded archive to "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\CollabNet\Subversion Client" and overwirite existing files (manual update to svn v1.7). Create a backup first if You want to (I didn't).

Step 4:
Restart NetBeans and voila: NetBeans supports existing repos converted to v1.7 format Smile

Just registered here to show You how to fix, bacause I had the same problem couple of hours ago (I'm the fan of having everything up-to-date even if it's beta and I had my lesson ... again - 2 hours lost on this one). Sorry for bad English Smile
dms489

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: (sigh!) Reply with quote

Thanks for the clear, step-by-step instructions. I followed them really carefully ... and the restarted NetBeans is now whining about one of the subdirectories. I'm trying to fix this by cleaning up the subdirectories ... and that was so successful, I'm now back to whining about the whole project tree. (sigh!).

Last edited by dms489 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
prgTW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe svn cleanup after updating repository format to 1.7?
dms489

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already configured at 1.7 by Tortoise SVN
Ondrej Vrabec
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: SVN Conflict Problems Reply with quote

I don't know why you would want to use subversion in it's beta version,
but anyway if you really do know what you're doing, then you need to
tell NetBeans explicitly that you want to use 1.7 svn.exe as the client.
To do this, start the IDE with -J-DsvnClientAdapterFactory=commandline

Dne 16.9.2011 20:45, dms489 napsal(a):
Quote:
Thanks for the clear, step-by-step instructions. I followed them really carefully ... and the restarted NetBeans is still whining about updating my SVN client to 1.7 (sigh!) Externally, Tortoise SVN is managing my versions just fine in the 1.7 format with only one .svn file.

dms489

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Full Circle Reply with quote

... which brings us all right back to my original question. There seems to be some level of agreement about the "1.7" SVN format, Tortoise SVN works fine with a single .svn directory, but NetBeans is apparently looking for some other SVN client. So i guess I need to struggle on using Tortoise "on the outside" until the beta phase is over and there is a production version of SVN 1.7?
dev4press

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVN 1.7 is now out of beta, it is is stable release, but NetBeans still can't work with it, and I tried binaries from Tortoise 1.7 and SilkSVN 1.7. But, the trick with command line parameter seems to work. I hope that NetBeans will have official patch for this soon.
sean.knutson@myfarms.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Use the application parameter for now. Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Ondrej Vrabec and dev4press! The command line parameter did exactly what I needed for now, although I really do hope NetBeans comes out with a patch soon.

(Hint: You can add the parameter to a shortcut instead of running it through the command line.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: