NetBeans Forums

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
  

File tabs in editor

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sumoton



Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

Hi,

all opened files are represented by a tab pane in the Java Editor of NetBeans. Unfortunately it is somehow cumbersome to display an open file
in the editor in case its tab is currently not visible.

Is there a way to define, that all tabs of the opened files shall be displayed in multiple lines and not in one scrollable line. Any file could be displayed much faster and without scrolling through the list. That would be much more handy.

Thanks!
Back to top
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.





PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

This used to be a feature in NB 3.x (maybe even in 4.x days). Then some
NB folks felt it was better to never use more than one row for tabs.
Although I and others argued for at least making multi-row an option, we
lost the argument. To this day, I hate the new way. Perhaps, if enough
people are like-minded, we can file an enhancement isue (unless one
already exists) and all vote for it.

tom

On 02/06/2009 03:34 AM, sumoton wrote:
Quote:
Hi,



all opened files are represented by a tab pane in the Java Editor of NetBeans. Unfortunately it is somehow cumbersome to display an open file

in the editor in case its tab is currently not visible.



Is there a way to define, that all tabs of the opened files shall be displayed in multiple lines and not in one scrollable line. Any file could be displayed much faster and without scrolling through the list. That would be much more handy.



Thanks!




Back to top
Glenn Holmer
Posted via mailing list.





PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 08:34 +0000, sumoton wrote:
Quote:
Is there a way to define, that all tabs of the opened files shall be
displayed in multiple lines and not in one scrollable line. Any file
could be displayed much faster and without scrolling through the list.
That would be much more handy.

You can hit shift-F4 for a alphabetized list of open files.

--
____________________________________________________________
Glenn Holmer address-removed
Software Engineer phone: 414-908-1809
Weyco Group, Inc. fax: 414-908-1601
Back to top
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.





PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

This may be a nit, but multi-row allows you to get to the file you want
with a single click. If user were given a preference to open new tabs
in alphabetical order finding previously visited files/tabs would be the
same speed as an alphabetized list drop down...with 1/2 the clicks. The
only "down" side is the amount of real estate used by tabs. But to
some/many developers it would be worth it.

tom



On 02/06/2009 02:19 PM, Glenn Holmer wrote:
Quote:
On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 08:34 +0000, sumoton wrote:

Quote:
Is there a way to define, that all tabs of the opened files shall be
displayed in multiple lines and not in one scrollable line. Any file
could be displayed much faster and without scrolling through the list.
That would be much more handy.


You can hit shift-F4 for a alphabetized list of open files.

Back to top
rob_v



Joined: 15 May 2009
Posts: 11

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious - is there any chance that this will be future release?

Not having multiple rows of tabs is crazy. Im working on a 24" monitor and I can only see 7 open tabs - 6 if I happen to modify one and the word modified is then displayed.

Its such a PITA to have to keep looking for a file thats not on the screen.
At least give the user an option.
Back to top
thinker



Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking on google how to enable it, and found this topic Sad
It's a step backward, if this was enabled before, and now is gone.
What's the reason to change 'one-click' interface to slower one?
Back to top
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.





PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

I have no idea what you're asking or commenting on. What's a step
backwards? What single-click interface is changed? Netbeans has a tab
interface in the editor and they're single-click to activate - so
what's the problem?

Thanks for clarifying.
tom

On 09/17/2009 05:30 AM, thinker wrote:
Quote:
I was just looking on google how to enable it, and found this topic :(

It's a step backward, if this was enabled before, and now is gone.

What's the reason to change 'one-click' interface to slower one?





**********************************************************************************************
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the
named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager or the sender immediately and do
not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
*** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious content. ***
**********************************************************************************************
Back to top
thinker



Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

Thomas Wolf wrote:
I have no idea what you're asking or commenting on. What's a step
backwards? What single-click interface is changed? Netbeans has a tab
interface in the editor and they're single-click to activate - so
what's the problem?

Thanks for clarifying.
tom

On 09/17/2009 05:30 AM, thinker wrote:
Quote:
I was just looking on google how to enable it, and found this topic Sad

It's a step backward, if this was enabled before, and now is gone.

What's the reason to change 'one-click' interface to slower one?


It's in the first post:
http://forums.netbeans.org/viewtopic.php?t=8344&highlight=
Back to top
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.





PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

On 09/17/2009 10:48 AM, thinker wrote:
Quote:
It's in the first post:

http://forums.netbeans.org/viewtopic.php?t=8344&highlight=



nbusers may also be a forum but it's primarily a mailing list. You see
the thread - even though the last entry was 4 months ago, but folks on
the mailing list (like me) don't keep 4-month old mail on their
computer, so when we see your posting to the mailing list, we have no
idea what you're talking about. Thanks for sending the link to the
forum to refresh my memory.

I see that I wholeheartedly agree that we should have a multi-row tab
option for the editor. What galls me the most is that we had that
capability in 3.x days and then, for 4.0, some developers just decided
that this was not needed - even though many of us, at the time,
complained about it. The worst part of this is that this feature is
probably using Swing's JTabbedPane (just guessing) which supports either
multi-row or single-row policy.

I could have sworn someone has filed a bug for this before, but I
couldn't find it when searching the bug database. So I created a new
bug. Anyone who wants the ability to see multiple rows of tabs in the
editor, please vote for it:
http://www.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=172512

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. Beware that the developers may re-assign the issue to another
component. If that happens, you will get notified because your vote
will be lost. You'll have to vote for it again.


**********************************************************************************************
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the
named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager or the sender immediately and do
not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
*** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious content. ***
**********************************************************************************************
Back to top
thinker



Joined: 16 Apr 2009
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

Thomas Wolf wrote:
nbusers may also be a forum but it's primarily a mailing list. You see
the thread - even though the last entry was 4 months ago, but folks on
the mailing list (like me) don't keep 4-month old mail on their
computer, so when we see your posting to the mailing list, we have no
idea what you're talking about. Thanks for sending the link to the
forum to refresh my memory.

I thought mailing list is something that was popular in 90-ties Smile

Quote:
I see that I wholeheartedly agree that we should have a multi-row tab
option for the editor. What galls me the most is that we had that
capability in 3.x days and then, for 4.0, some developers just decided
that this was not needed - even though many of us, at the time,
complained about it. The worst part of this is that this feature is
probably using Swing's JTabbedPane (just guessing) which supports either
multi-row or single-row policy.

I could have sworn someone has filed a bug for this before, but I
couldn't find it when searching the bug database. So I created a new
bug. Anyone who wants the ability to see multiple rows of tabs in the
editor, please vote for it:
http://www.netbeans.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=172512

Thanks,
Tom

P.S. Beware that the developers may re-assign the issue to another
component. If that happens, you will get notified because your vote
will be lost. You'll have to vote for it again.

Thanks for you explanation. I give it my vote, and hope someone will code it someday in not so far future Smile
Back to top
Thomas Wolf
Posted via mailing list.





PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: File tabs in editor Reply with quote

On 09/19/2009 06:49 AM, thinker wrote:
...
Quote:
I thought mailing list is something that was popular in 90-ties :)


That really hurts :-)

Seriously, though, mailing lists are much superior to forums when you
want to closely follow a subject - because the news comes to you rather
than the other way around. We corporate drones are already in the mail
client all day, so letting the mail client tell us when something new's
arrived is much preferable to checking web sites all the time (well,
there is RSS, I guess...) Another advantage of mailing lists is that it
allows you to stash little nuggets of wisdom away simply by leaving it
in your subject's folder - i.e. I have about 2000 messages in my
netbeans mail folder - some as old as 2001 - because they contain some
trick or suggestion that I could take advantage of someday :-)

The more subjects you follow, the greater the benefit of mailing lists
over web-based forums.

But that's just my opinion - maybe it's actually because I'm an old fart
and that's how we did things in the 80's and 90's :-)

Tom


**********************************************************************************************
IMPORTANT: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential. They are intended for the
named recipient(s) only.
If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager or the sender immediately and do
not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies thereof.
*** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals, and malicious content. ***
**********************************************************************************************
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB
By use of this website, you agree to the NetBeans Policies and Terms of Use. © 2012, Oracle Corporation and/or its affiliates. Sponsored by Oracle logo