NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shouldn't be password saved encrypted?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polda18

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Shouldn't be password saved encrypted? Reply with quote

Many years web network standards actually discard saving passwords in plain form in databases in case of database leak. I think forums like this should follow the standards (and use latest version of the forum software). I was quitely surprised when I saw my password in confirmation e-mail. If password was encrypted using one-way encryption algorithm (referred to as hashing) with addition of cryptographic salt, I would never see my password in email like that in image attachment.

I blacked out my password to prevent spambots (or humans) stealing the password and masked the password length by adding extra black space to it to prevent easy cracking of the password (so no, you won't see my password). But it was actually there, clearly proving user passwords are saved as plain text in database, which is no good in privacy and especially security. I don't mind possible leak of the database. I don't mind much about security when it comes to asking questions, but if the same method of saving passwords (plain text in database) was used by internet banking services, it would be serious security hole. Please, protect your users from steailing their accounts in case of database leak...

PASSWORD.JPG
 Description:
Password was delivered back to me in confirmation e-mail (blacked out and masked length to prevent spambots stealing and cracking password)
 Filesize:  24.75 KB
 Viewed:  523 Time(s)

PASSWORD.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Community Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: