NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Record object allocations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifelsetrue

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Record object allocations Reply with quote

In older versions of NB it was possible to profile memory and record object creations and allocations numbers like described here:

https://netbeans.org/kb/articles/nb-profiler-uncoveringleaks_pt1.html

In recent versions I can only profile objects, which is not the same. BTW, click on Profile project doesn't do anything.

Can you please explain how to profile memory like in older versions of NB?

thanks!
Jiri Sedlacek
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Record object allocations Reply with quote

Hi,

please see the following documents to get details on memory profiling with the new profiler:

- http://wiki.netbeans.org/ProfilerObjects
- http://wiki.netbeans.org/ProfilerExpertFeatures

Feel free to ask for more info if needed.

Regards
Jiri

On 10/5/2016 9:40 AM, ifelsetrue wrote:
Quote:
In older versions of NB it was possible to profile memory and record object creations and allocations numbers like described here:

https://netbeans.org/kb/articles/nb-profiler-uncoveringleaks_pt1.html

In recent versions I can only profile objects, which is not the same. BTW, click on Profile project doesn't do anything.

Can you please explain how to profile memory like in older versions of NB?

thanks!

ifelsetrue

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! It's probably not as convenient as before, but seems to do the job. I mean, to count object allocation I have either select some classes or define them with wildcard
Jiri Sedlacek
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Record object allocations Reply with quote

You're right, this particular scenario is now more difficult to setup than it used to be.

The main motivation for changing workflow in the new profiler was to reduce the possibility of
misconfiguring the profiler which often caused extreme slowdowns etc. Typically you need to track
allocations for just a few classes, not for every single class loaded by the VM.

If you start sampling the objects first, you should be able to identify the suspicious classes and
mark them for instrumented tracking including the allocations. If you're an expert, you can define
the classes manually using wildcards, still having in mind that you should select as few classes as
possible.

Could you please describe your use case a bit? I'd like to know whether it fits the above workflow
or there's some space for improving the profiler for not yet covered scenarios.

Regards
Jiri

On 10/6/2016 4:02 PM, ifelsetrue wrote:
Quote:
Thank you! It's probably not as convenient as before, but seems to do the job. I mean, to count object allocation I have either select some classes or define them with wildcard

ifelsetrue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use case was to identify, which objects have highest allocation rate. As they might be short living ones it's not always obvious what to profile.

But the struggle was how to do this with the new profiler interface. Because now it's kind of hidden. You have to know, that if you want to see object allocation you have to define classes
tkellerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Record object allocations Reply with quote

Jiri Sedlacek wrote:
You're right, this particular scenario is now more difficult to setup than it used to be.
I personally find the profiler interface to get more complicated with each release rather then easier to use. Too many features and options are hidden and it's not always clear on how to access them. This was the case from 8.0 to 8.1 and with 8.2 I find it even more confusing.
Jiri Sedlacek
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Record object allocations Reply with quote

Hello Thomas,

could you please be more specific on which settings do you find difficult to access in the
redesigned profiler and which changes between 8.1 and 8.2 made that even worse? Such feedback is
very important for us to make sure we're going the right way.

Thanks!
Jiri

On 10/7/2016 1:36 PM, tkellerer wrote:
Quote:
Jiri Sedlacek wrote:
Quote:
I personally find the profiler interface to get more complicated with each release rather then easier to use. Too many features and options are hidden and it's not always clear on how to access them. This was the case from 8.0 to 8.1 and with 8.2 I find it even more confusing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Profiler Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: