NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fburleigh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

I'm new to NB, and ruby/rails is probably my fifth language. Problems are likely. Wink

I used rvm to get ruby 1.9.2-head and to make an rvm gemset for rails 3 beta4 on OS X. NB is 6.9.1 nightly.

I used NB to make a new rails 3 beta4 application. At a command line I can:

rails server

to start webrick and see the app in a browser.

But in NB I can't run or debug the application. I also cannot open a Rails Console. In every case the Ruby interpreter seems to say some variant of "no such directory: script", e.g.:

/Users/burleigh/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-head/bin/ruby: No such file or directory -- script/server (LoadError)

So it looks to me like NB doesn't know what to do with rails 3 beta4.

Is there anything I can do about that?
Erno Mononen
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

Hello,

seems that for some reason the IDE doesn't recognize the Rails version
correctly; might have to do with the rvm setup. When you create a new
rails app, do you see beta4 in the Rails version combo box on the last
page of the new Rails app wizard? Or when you go to Tools | Ruby Gems
and choose the ruby 1.9.2-head platform, is beta4 visible there?

Erno

On 07/23/2010 03:46 PM, fburleigh wrote:
Quote:
I'm new to NB, and ruby/rails is probably my fifth language. Problems are likely. ;-)

I used rvm to get ruby 1.9.2-head and to make an rvm gemset for rails 3 beta4 on OS X. NB is 6.9.1 nightly.

rails server

But in NB I can't run or debug the application. I also cannot open a Rails Console. In every case the Ruby interpreter seems to say some variant of "no such directory: script", e.g.:

/Users/burleigh/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-head/bin/ruby: No such file or directory -- script/server (LoadError)

fburleigh

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

Erno Mononen wrote:
Hello,

Erno

Thanks for your reply, Erno.

I made a new rails app. The platform reads "1.9.2 p-1" with the rails dropdown list showing only "rails 3 beta4." The gems and paths look correct. Still, Run in the IDE produces the same:

The script directory has one file -- "rails" -- with this content:

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
# This command will automatically be run when you run "rails" with Rails 3 gems installed from the root of your application.

APP_PATH = File.expand_path('../..config/application', __FILE__)
require File.expand_path('../..config/boot', __FILE__)
require 'rails/commands'

I note that "../../config" seems to include one too many ascents to reach the config directory, if that's what's being done. In the IDE's irb I can run "require 'rails/commands'" to get a "true" result.

rvm is said to be all the rage right now. A GUI app on OS X can be excused for not seeing rvm's results, since the path magic is done in a script rather than text. Without know more how NB gets its info, it's hard to say much. I will just say that the paths for ruby and gems looks correct to me. I do not however see where NB gets the "rails" command's path.

So I'm stuck and somewhat frustrated, but hopeful.
fburleigh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

fburleigh wrote:
Erno Mononen wrote:
Hello,

Erno

Thanks for your reply, Erno.

I made a new rails app. The platform reads "1.9.2 p-1" with the rails dropdown list showing only "rails 3 beta4." The gems and paths look correct. Still, Run in the IDE produces the same:

*snip*

I can't quite say how, but I've been successful integrating rvm and NetBeans 6.9.1. Here's what I did:

* use rvm to uninstall getsets for rails3beta4.
* remove rvm (including ~/.rvm, where ruby 1.9.2-head lived)
* rm -rf ~/.gem (very little in there)
* install rvm according to documentation
* create a gemset for rails 3 rc1
* run rvm 1.9.2-head@rails3rc1 (there's a complaint)
* gem install rails --pre (to get rails 3 rc1)
* open netbeans, use Tools -> Ruby platforms, autodetect (it sees 1.9.2-head)
* Now adjust the rvm ruby's platform so that home and get home and paths are within ~/.rvm/gems. Mnaully typing ~/.rvm into the browse window help netbeans get to the right stuff.

Interpreter:
~/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-head/bin/ruby

Gem home:
~/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head@rails3rc1

Gem paths:
~/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head@rails3rc1
~/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-head@global
Anthony Richardson
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 am    Post subject: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

I have the same problem, I'm not using RVM. As far as I can tell Netbeans is trying to use the old Rails scripts instead of the new rails 3 script

old:

script/server

new

rails s

cheers

Anthony Richardson

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM, fburleigh <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

I'm new to NB, and ruby/rails is probably my fifth language.
Erno Mononen
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

OK, so of course the attachment didn't come through. I've uploaded it to

http://wiki.netbeans.org/wiki/images/b/bf/Org-netbeans-modules-ruby-railsprojects.jar

Please make sure you save it as org-netbeans-modules-ruby-railsprojects.jar (starting with lower case 'o'), the wiki didn't allow me to change the destination file name.

Erno

On 07/28/2010 10:29 AM, Erno Mononen wrote:
Quote:

I took a quick look at this, apparently there is an issue with the code that should make the IDE use the new rails 3 script when using any of the Rails 3 releases. It should work with Rails 3 final whenever it is released, but that may be of little comfort. Things are changing pretty fast now in the Rails world with the new Rails 3 releases and since as of late I've been busy with other things I'm not really keeping up with all the changes. So your feedback is much appreciated. I'm attaching here a patched .jar file (hopefully it comes through to the list) to fix this particular issue, just copy it to

<nb_install_dir>/ruby/modules

and restart the IDE. Should work both with 6.9 and 6.9.1 nightly builds (and also with trunk nightly builds).

Let me know how that works for you, if there are no problems I'll push it to 6.9.1 too (if it's not frozen yet, have to find out).

Thanks,
Erno

On 07/28/2010 07:12 AM, Anthony Richardson wrote:
Quote:
I have the same problem, I'm not using RVM. As far as I can tell Netbeans is trying to use the old Rails scripts instead of the new rails 3 script

old:

script/server

new

rails s

cheers

Anthony Richardson

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 11:16 PM, fburleigh <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

I'm new to NB, and ruby/rails is probably my fifth language. Problems are likely. Wink

rails server

fburleigh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped the new file in place, opened NB 6.9.1 Dev from July 13, made a new rails project, and found that both the console and run functions worked as expected. Since I had achieved the same yesterday, it's hard to say what has made this possible -- I'd guess your patch provides a more robust solution. Wink And the effort is certainly appreciated.
Anthony Richardson
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

Hi Erno,

That patched jar works fine on my Ubuntu 10.04 install running a NetBeans nightly and Rails 3.0.0.rc.

No problems starting server both with and without debugging.

Cheers,

Anthony

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Erno Mononen <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

http://wiki.netbeans.org/wiki/images/b/bf/Org-netbeans-modules-ruby-railsprojects.jar

Please make sure you save it as org-netbeans-modules-ruby-railsprojects.jar (starting with lower case 'o'), the wiki didn't allow me to change the destination file name.

Erno

Quote:

I took a quick look at this, apparently there is an issue with the code that should make the IDE use the new rails 3 script when using any of the Rails 3 releases. It should work with Rails 3 final whenever it is released, but that may be of little comfort. Things are changing pretty fast now in the Rails world with the new Rails 3 releases and since as of late I've been busy with other things I'm not really keeping up with all the changes. So your feedback is much appreciated. I'm attaching here a patched .jar file (hopefully it comes through to the list) to fix this particular issue, just copy it to

and restart the IDE. Should work both with 6.9 and 6.9.1 nightly builds (and also with trunk nightly builds).

Let me know how that works for you, if there are no problems I'll push it to 6.9.1 too (if it's not frozen yet, have to find out).

Thanks,
Erno

Quote:

old:

script/server

new

rails s

cheers

Anthony Richardson

Quote:

I'm new to NB, and ruby/rails is probably my fifth language.
Erno Mononen
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

Thanks Anthony for testing this! I was playing with this a bit and found out that 6.9.1 should work with 3.0.0.rc even w/o the patched .jar, but with 3.0.0.beta4 neither 6.9 or 6.9.1 work w/o the patch.

Thanks,
Erno

On 07/29/2010 04:28 AM, Anthony Richardson wrote:
Quote:
Hi Erno,

That patched jar works fine on my Ubuntu 10.04 install running a NetBeans nightly and Rails 3.0.0.rc.

No problems starting server both with and without debugging.

Cheers,

Anthony

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 6:15 PM, Erno Mononen <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

Erno

Quote:

Thanks,
Erno

Quote:

old:

script/server

new

rails s

cheers

Anthony Richardson

Quote:

rails server

springbok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erno,

I am using Rails RC (3.0.0.rc) and I'm still getting this problem with it running script/server, my environment is:

Ruby 1.9.2 (using RVM)
Rails 3.0.0.rc
Netbeans 6.9.1 (also tried with nightly build 20100823)

I downloaded your patch and installed it but this did not fix the issue.

Any help appreciated,

Etienne.
Erno Mononen
Posted via mailing list.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Cannot use Run, Debug, or Rails Console: NB 6.9.1 nightly and Rails beta Reply with quote

Hi Etienne,

I suppose there is some issue related to gem paths on your configuration
(likely NB doesn't see the rails3 gem, for whatever reason). Could there
be a problem with permissions, e.g. are some gem paths only readable as
the root user?

The log file might give some hints, so please turn on detailed logging
in Tools | Options | Ruby | Misc, reproduce the issue and attach the log
file here then. You can find the file in <nb_user_dir>/var/log, or in
View | IDE log.

Cheers,
Erno

On 08/24/2010 04:21 AM, springbok wrote:
Quote:
Hi Erno,

I am using Rails RC (3.0.0.rc) and I'm still getting this problem with it running script/server, my environment is:

Ruby 1.9.2 (using RVM)
Rails 3.0.0.rc
Netbeans 6.9.1 (also tried with nightly build 20100823)

I downloaded your patch and installed it but this did not fix the issue.

Any help appreciated,

Etienne.

springbok

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erno,

Thank you for the prompt response. I tried attaching the file but got this message "Sorry, but the maximum filesize for all Attachments is reached. Please contact the Board Administrator if you have questions.", so I've uploaded it to here http://www.cascadia.com.au/messages.log.gz

abstract (1.0.0)
actionmailer (3.0.0.rc2)
actionpack (3.0.0.rc2)
activemodel (3.0.0.rc2)
activerecord (3.0.0.rc2)
activeresource (3.0.0.rc2)
activesupport (3.0.0.rc2)
arel (1.0.0.rc1)
builder (2.1.2)
bundler (1.0.0.rc.6, 1.0.0.rc.5)
daemons (1.0.10)
erubis (2.6.6)
gem_plugin (0.2.3)
i18n (0.4.1)
mail (2.2.5)
mime-types (1.16)
mongrel (1.2.0.pre2)
polyglot (0.3.1)
rack (1.2.1)
rack-mount (0.6.12)
rack-test (0.5.4)
rails (3.0.0.rc2)
railties (3.0.0.rc2)
rake (0.8.7)
sqlite3-ruby (1.3.1)
thor (0.14.0)
treetop (1.4.Cool
tzinfo (0.3.23)

I uninstalled ruby 1.9.2 then reinstalled everything, I also did the same for netbeans(201008230001) but I'm still getting the error. I had a look at the log file and it seems it can't find rake, rdoc & manifest. It also mentions that it can't find the abtract gem, but I have installed it.

If you need me to try anything please let me know.

Thanks,

Etienne.
springbok

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erno,

I've manges to get the server (not debugger) started, again the problem was related to the default directories used for by NB for the selected ruby platform. NB had these directories set:

Gem home:
/home/etienne/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
Gem path:
/home/etienne/.gem/ruby/1.9.1
/home/etienne/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1
Interpreter:
/home/etienne/.rvm/rubies/default/bin/ruby

Gem env had the following:
Gem home:
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0
Gem path:
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@global
Interpreter:
/home/etienne/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/bin/ruby

Using Tools -> Ruby Platform I was able to change gem home & path but not the interpreter so I need to set ruby default using rvm. It would be good if NB could use the same directory as specified in gem env.

Once I changed the directories I was able to start the server. NB still tries to use script/server when I try and start the debugger, there are no entries written to the log file to tell me what is going wrong.

The following lines appear in the output window:

Fast Debugger (ruby-debug-ide 0.4.9) listens on :60600
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.9/lib/ruby-debug-ide.rb:109:in `debug_load'
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.9/lib/ruby-debug-ide.rb:109:in `debug_program'
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/gems/ruby-debug-ide-0.4.9/bin/rdebug-ide:87:in `<top (required)>'
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/bin/rdebug-ide:19:in `load'
/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/bin/rdebug-ide:19:in `<main>'
Uncaught exception: no such file to load -- script/rails

Etienne.
springbok

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, after doing another NB reinstall I forgot to turn detailed logging back on, now I have the following entries in the log when I start the debugger:

FINE [org.netbeans.modules.ruby.railsprojects.server.RailsServerManager]: Port number in project properties:3000
FINE [org.netbeans.modules.ruby.railsprojects.server.RailsServerManager]: Checking port: 3000. Ports in use: []
FINE [org.netbeans.modules.ruby.railsprojects.server.RailsServerManager]: Connecting to 3000, using http validation: false
FINE [org.netbeans.modules.ruby.debugger.RubyDebugger]: Running fast debugger...
FINE [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerFactory]: Running [basedir: /var/www/rails/rails_test]: "/home/etienne/.rvm/rubies/default/bin/ruby -r /tmp/io-synchronizer2223814842031955953.rb /home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0/bin/rdebug-ide _0.4.9_ -p 51427 --xml-debug -- script/rails server mongrel --port 3000"
FINE [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerFactory]: Environment: {GEM_PATH=/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0:/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0@global, GTK_MODULES=canberra-gtk-module, GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-mzSUBJ, SHLVL=1, SSH_AGENT_PID=1298, SPEECHD_PORT=7560, XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/dt/app-defaults/%L/Dt, SESSION_MANAGER=local/ubuntu-rails3:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/1230,unix/ubuntu-rails3:/tmp/.ICE-unix/1230, GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated, GDMSESSION=gnome, XDG_SESSION_COOKIE=987f42c1196bc066af224ee14c6e2d1b-1282555920.618693-1366916812, XDG_DATA_DIRS=/usr/share/gnome:/usr/local/share/:/usr/share/, MANDATORY_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/gnome.mandatory.path, PWD=/home/etienne, LOGNAME=etienne, J2D_PIXMAPS=shared, _=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/java, NLSPATH=/usr/dt/lib/nls/msg/%L/%N.cat, SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-mzSUBJ/ssh, LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/jre/lib/i386/client:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/jre/lib/i386:/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/jre/../lib/i386, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS=unix:abstract=/tmp/dbus-8BAkZ8bMDt,guid=5bb2f338e4d859159d06c74b4c724011, GDM_KEYBOARD_LAYOUT=us, SHELL=/bin/bash, GNOME_KEYRING_PID=1212, PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games, XDG_CONFIG_DIRS=/etc/xdg/xdg-gnome:/etc/xdg, GEM_HOME=/home/etienne/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p0, DESKTOP_SESSION=gnome, DISPLAY=:0.0, USER=etienne, HOME=/home/etienne, XAUTHORITY=/var/run/gdm/auth-for-etienne-nAbPAL/database, GDM_LANG=en_AU.utf8, DEFAULTS_PATH=/usr/share/gconf/gnome.default.path, USERNAME=etienne, ORBIT_SOCKETDIR=/tmp/orbit-etienne, LANG=en_AU.utf8}
FINE [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerProxy]: Proxy target: RubyDebugTarget@31025295[baseDir: /var/www/rails/rails_test, debuggedFile: script/rails, port: 51427]
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerProxy]: Cannot connect to 127.0.0.1:51427. Trying again...(29)
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerProxy]: Successfully attached to 127.0.0.1:51427
FINE [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerProxy]: Sending command debugger: start
FINE [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.ReadersSupport]: Starting ReadersSupport readloop: class org.rubyforge.debugcommons.ReadersSupport command loop
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.Util]: Received message: <message debug='true'>Starting command read loop</message>
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.Util]: Received message: <message debug='true'>Processing: start</message>
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.Util]: Received message: <message debug='true'>Starting: running program script</message>
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.Util]: Received: END_DOCUMENT event
FINE [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.ReadersSupport]: ReadersSupport readloop [class org.rubyforge.debugcommons.ReadersSupport command loop] successfully finished.
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerProxy]: Waiting for breakpoints.
FINEST [org.rubyforge.debugcommons.RubyDebuggerProxy]: Socket reader loop finished.
FINE [org.netbeans.modules.ruby.railsprojects.server.RailsServerManager]: Server startup failed, server type is: org.netbeans.modules.ruby.railsprojects.server.Mongrel@dd572f4e
FINE [org.netbeans.modules.ruby.railsprojects.server.RailsServerManager]: Could not start org.netbeans.modules.ruby.railsprojects.server.Mongrel@dd572f4e in 1 seconds, current server status is NOT_STARTED
springbok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this up again, but has anyone been able to get the debugger working? I'm still having the same problem were it's trying to run script/server instead of rails s. I can start the server in non-debug mode without any problems after modifying the ruby 1.9.2. directories but I just can't get the debugger going.

Thanks,

Etienne.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Ruby Users All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: