NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Programmatically doing 'Find Usages"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
geertjan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Programmatically doing 'Find Usages" Reply with quote

You are not trying to extend NetBeans? What are you trying to extend, if not NetBeans?

Gj

On 15-11-2016 1:42, Sunil Dudani wrote:

Quote:

Have i got the wrong alias? since this is a plugin question and i am not trying to extend NetBeans. And is address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email]) the right alias.
Thanks.

On 11/14/2016 3:23 PM, geertjan wielenga wrote:

Quote:

We can't help without knowing what it is you want to achieve.

At least you need to be able to explain what kind of analysis and recommendations are applicable, otherwise how can we help suggest where it fits into NetBeans? Simply creating a menu item is normally not the right or optimal way to extend NetBeans -- depending on what you actually need to do, you will need to plug into a specific part of NetBeans to get the data that you need.

Gj

On 15-11-2016 0:21, Sunil Dudani wrote:

Quote:

Curious, but i am looking to develop a plugin and while i have outlined the basic use case below, it is specific for a company/product internal functionality.

It is not something that i can disclose in an open forum.
The links below are blogs on the some related functionality of NB, which are great but do not serve my purpose.

On 11/14/2016 3:16 PM, geertjan wielenga wrote:

Quote:

PS: it would really help to know what you are trying to achieve -- what does this mean: "analyze the statement and provide logging recommendations to the user". What kind of analysis and logging recommendations are you talking about?

On 15-11-2016 0:13, geertjan wielenga wrote:

Quote:

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/custom_declarative_hints_in_netbeans

https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/entry/oh_no_vector

Gj

On 15-11-2016 0:11, Sunil Dudani wrote:

Quote:

Note that i want the user to be able to select any Logger instance variable used in a Class, not just the Logger constructor. A 'Find Usage' on the instance variable does not search for usages of the variable Class across modules.

I can get the Class name when the user selects (put the cursor) the variable by comparing the Element.asType().toString() to "java.util.logging.Logger"

Thanks

On 11/14/2016 2:40 PM, geertjan wielenga wrote:

Quote:

Could you not, instead of the below, have a menu item in the Usage output window to process the statements?

I.e., after the usages are displayed, you'd have a way of accessing those usages in the Usage output window and then do something with them?

Gj

On 14-11-2016 23:38, Sunil Dudani wrote:

Quote:

Hi Folks,

Pardon my newbie questions:

Background: i am writing a new search and recommend plugin for Java development (please correct if this is not the right forum)

1. Specifically, i am requesting suggestions for sample/open source code for "Find Usages". I wish to provide some additional user action based on the search results.

2. Once the user clicks on a particular field (i have that working using the sample CopyFQNAction plugin), i would like to display a new button.

Use case:

User selects any java.util.logging.Logger.log() statements in a Java file and the code should find all instances of similar log() statements in all the open projects (same as what is being done by 'Find Usages'. However, rather than display these in the Usage output window, i want to analyze the statement and provide logging recommendations to the user.

Thanks,
Sunil

emi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Programmatically doing 'Find Usages" Reply with quote

address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email]) is the recommended mailing list.

--emi

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Sunil Dudani <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

Have i got the wrong alias? since this is a plugin question and i am not trying to extend NetBeans. And is address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email]) the right alias.
Thanks.

Quote:

At least you need to be able to explain what kind of analysis and recommendations are applicable, otherwise how can we help suggest where it fits into NetBeans? Simply creating a menu item is normally not the right or optimal way to extend NetBeans -- depending on what you actually need to do, you will need to plug into a specific part of NetBeans to get the data that you need.

Gj

Quote:

Curious, but i am looking to develop a plugin and while i have outlined the basic use case below, it is specific for a company/product internal functionality.

The links below are blogs on the some related functionality of NB, which are great but do not serve my purpose.

Quote:

PS: it would really help to know what you are trying to achieve -- what does this mean: "analyze the statement and provide logging recommendations to the user". What kind of analysis and logging recommendations are you talking about?

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

Note that i want the user to be able to select any Logger instance variable used in a Class, not just the Logger constructor. A 'Find Usage' on the instance variable does not search for usages of the variable Class across modules.

I can get the Class name when the user selects (put the cursor) the variable by comparing the Element.asType().toString() to "java.util.logging.Logger"

Thanks

Quote:

Could you not, instead of the below, have a menu item in the Usage output window to process the statements?

I.e., after the usages are displayed, you'd have a way of accessing those usages in the Usage output window and then do something with them?

Gj

Quote:

Hi Folks,

Background: i am writing a new search and recommend plugin for Java development (please correct if this is not the right forum)

1. Specifically, i am requesting suggestions for sample/open source code for "Find Usages". I wish to provide some additional user action based on the search results.

2. Once the user clicks on a particular field (i have that working using the sample CopyFQNAction plugin), i would like to display a new button.

Use case:

User selects any java.util.logging.Logger.log() statements in a Java file and the code should find all instances of similar log() statements in all the open projects (same as what is being done by 'Find Usages'. However, rather than display these in the Usage output window, i want to analyze the statement and provide logging recommendations to the user.

Thanks,
Sunil

geertjan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:14 am    Post subject: Programmatically doing 'Find Usages" Reply with quote

Yes, we're moving to Apache, and that would be a good place to discuss extensions to NetBeans going forward.

However, it's going to be quite difficult if you're not allowed to explain exactly what it is you're trying to achieve. Maybe compare it to something similar enough yet different.

Gj

On 15-11-2016 7:09, Emilian Bold wrote:

Quote:
address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email]) is the recommended mailing list.

--emi

On Tue, Nov 15, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Sunil Dudani <address-removed ([email]address-removed[/email])> wrote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

Hi Folks,

Use case:

Thanks,
Sunil

sundud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Programmatically doing 'Find Usages" Reply with quote

Thanks!

On 11/14/2016 10:09 PM, Emilian Bold wrote:

Quote:

--emi

Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

Thanks

Quote:

Gj

Quote:

Hi Folks,

Use case:

Thanks,
Sunil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> NetBeans Developers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: