NetBeans Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attach profiler to 32 bit java process

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robowen5mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Attach profiler to 32 bit java process Reply with quote

I am making the move from Eclipse to Netbeans and am trying to get up to speed with all the features for java development.

I am working with netbeans 8.2 on Windows 10 and have installed the full package. I am currently working on a 32 bit java application that is launched from a gradle project. Once the application is running, I would like to attach a profiler to the running application but run into the "32 bit process cannot be attached to WOW64" error message. The java project itself, as well as gradle, are both configured correctly to use 32 bit java and are running in the correct JVM. However the only way I could get the profiler to attach successfully was to completely uninstall Netbeans and then during the reinstall, point the installer at a 32bit version of Java 1.8.

This is a workable solution, but I was curious if there was a better option that would allow me to run Netbeans in a 64bit environment while still use all the features of Netbeans for 32 bit development.

Thx
tkellerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Attach profiler to 32 bit java process Reply with quote

robowen5mac wrote:
However the only way I could get the profiler to attach successfully was to completely uninstall Netbeans and then during the reinstall, point the installer at a 32bit version of Java 1.8.
No uninstall necessary.

You can pass the JDK that NetBeans should use through the --jdkhome command line option. And of course you must start netbeans.exe, not netbeans64.exe
e.g.:
Code:
netbeans.exe  --jdkhome c:\Java\jdk8_32
robowen5mac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Attach profiler to 32 bit java process Reply with quote

tkellerer wrote:
robowen5mac wrote:
However the only way I could get the profiler to attach successfully was to completely uninstall Netbeans and then during the reinstall, point the installer at a 32bit version of Java 1.8.
No uninstall necessary.

You can pass the JDK that NetBeans should use through the --jdkhome command line option. And of course you must start netbeans.exe, not netbeans64.exe
e.g.:
Code:
netbeans.exe  --jdkhome c:\Java\jdk8_32

Thanks for the reply. You are right this a better option than an uninstall. Does this mean that the only way to use the profiler with a 32 bit application is to launch the IDE in 32 bit mode. Was just hoping there was a way to configure the profiler to run in a 32bit JVM without having launch the whole of the IDE in 32 bit mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NetBeans Forums -> Java EE Users All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: